Economy 7 - Consumer Unit Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys/gals,

1st post here - hope you can help!

We have a flat which has Economy 7 storage heaters installed. Our tenant has been in there for the last 5 years but has now moved out.

As I remember, from 5yrs ago, the heating came on at around 10pm and went off again around 8am (ish).

This is not happening now so I can only assume it's some kind of control problem.

Each heater has it's normal wall switch (only a single supply - they don't have the facility for on-peak usage).

The consumer unit is an MEM and looks like this...

econ7.jpg

All the bottom row are fuses for the individual storage heaters (I've already changed the broken holder btw!). All the fuses are ok.

As I've never worked on any Economy 7 systems before can anyone shed any light on how the relay on the bottom RHS is meant to work?

The meter and what I assume to be two relays (one for off peak and one for on peak) are located in the communal electric room at the bottom of the block. The relays don't appear to be blown/burnt/smelling/etc but without opening up their enclosures I can't be sure.

It looks like this:

econ72.jpg

Everything I've read about the E7 systems mention a timer module which has to be set. I can only assume there is one master timer for the whole appartment complex which is hard wired to each of the relay boxes. Might be wrong though ;)

Where's the best place to start guys/gals? Replace the CU relay or the two relays next to the meter?

Cheers in advance :)

Rick.

Sponsored Links
A very good place to start would be with the small print of your insurance policies to see if you have to use a professional electrician.

if it's a tele-switch, then it's times can and do change..
you only get so many hours off peak, usually from 11pm-3am ish... but it depends on your tarrif as well..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back