Plasterboard Support for Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just hade a new extension built and prepared some internal wooden studwod to form 3 internal rooms.

I plan to plasterboard both the ceilings and the walls with 12.5mm board with a final skim coat.

If I fit the ceiling boards first, is there any need to cut and fit wooden noggins around the permiter of the ceiling area to support the board edges or is it OK to rely on the plasterboards fitted to the walls to provide the support if they are pushed up tight against the ceilign boards?

Hope that makes sence.

Thanks

Simon

Sponsored Links
The ceiling joists should be spaced at 300/400mm centres. no need to add noggins as 12.5mm plasterboard has enough strength but should be nailed every 8 inches right up the edge of the ceiling.

Hi,

I have just hade a new extension built and prepared some internal wooden studwod to form 3 internal rooms.

I plan to plasterboard both the ceilings and the walls with 12.5mm board with a final skim coat.

If I fit the ceiling boards first, is there any need to cut and fit wooden noggins around the permiter of the ceiling area to support the board edges or is it OK to rely on the plasterboards fitted to the walls to provide the support if they are pushed up tight against the ceilign boards?

Hope that makes sence.

Thanks

Simon

The timbers should be spaced out no more than 400mm about 16 inch.
It's always good to have nogins, this will reduce the sag of the board. But the the ceiling board will rest okay of the wall board providing it is fitted tight up.

Sponsored Links
Drywall screws are much more secure then nails.

Nail every 8 inches, screw every 18 Thats how i work it.

Although the ceiling p/board edges will sit onto the top of the wall board, i'd put noggins around the perimiter of the ceiling, and fix the boards with screws,,, much stronger all round.

Roughcaster.

Drywall screws are much more secure then nails.

Nail every 8 inches, screw every 18 Thats how i work it.

I would screw it all at 6-8 inches I think 18 is too big a gap inbetween screws... ;)

You can fit noggins but if you’ve a 400 or 450mm joist pitch, personally, I wouldn’t bother; obviously fit a support joist against the opposing walls to provide support on those two edges. Fit the wall boards up tight & tape; make sure you lay the ceiling board’s long edge across the joists, butt close & stagger the joints.

Never use nails; screws are a lot easier, far more secure &, unlike nails, don’t relax their support over time leading to popped nail heads & cracking. 18 inch spacing is far too much, personally I fix around every 6 inches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back