Water saturated Rockwool cavity wall insulation - problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My builder took the roof off the house just before the snow came (great timing, I know) - and didn't bother to cover any part of the house. As a result, the rockwool cavity wall insulation in the external masonry wall looks saturated by water.

Is this going to store up future problems in the integrity of the build if the insulation is not replaced? If it needs replacing, is this major surgery on the walls?

Advice appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It will dry out eventually, in the meantime the insulation won't be very effective. You could replace it and send him the bill, what a wally! When you say took off the roof, do you mean the whole structure or just the tiles? Do you have underfelt?

Yes, the whole roof structure was removed in order to put a new floor in. So there are currently no ceilings and it has been totally exposed to the elements for the last 5 weeks.

Sponsored Links
I've seen plenty of new builds where cavity insulation was saturated for weeks and months before covering in. It will dry out on its own but the longer you can leave the tops of the cavities open (but obviously protected from rain) the better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back