How to get a waste disposal off ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am trying to remove an old Tweeny waste disposal unit from a sink and relace with a conventional waste pipe. Something I have never done brfore.

I have disconnected the electrics and the air switch but am unsure as to how it comes off the sink. It looks quite heavy so I would like to get it right. There is a wing nut that is currently soaking in WD40 so I might be able to undo it soon!! Looks as if it then hinges at the back. So how does it come off from the sink connector ? Oh and how does the connector to the sink come off.

Thanks for any tips.

JohnB

Sponsored Links
Big locking ring under the sink, turn it and the unit falls off :LOL:

waste fits with a spring clip

Does the wingnut come off first and the unit hinge down - before the locking ring is loosened ?

Cheers

John

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Useful diagram on there but no instructioins on fitting or removal of the unit.

Cheers

John

self explainatory.

Undo wing nut and lift unit off, undo the screws 4 I think and remove the spring clip

Yep - looks fine when you study the diagram. What you suggest should do the job.

Thanks for the help.

John

WHen you loosen off the long vertical screws it all goes floppy & obvious ;)

replace with a 3 1/2 inch basket waste available from plumbing merchants.

In my experience, once removed these disposal units can rarely be put back due to corrossion of the casting and perished rubber seals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back