Shower only cold now, could the pump be faulty?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our shower has no hot from it now, it started last night. Cold is ok. It is a mira shower, and has a pump behind the bath which kicks in when the shower is turned on.

Could the pump be faulty? Is there a way I can make sure of this before replacing it?

Sponsored Links
ok thanks you. how do i check the filters (sorry i have never cleaned them out before). will theyh be at the pump somewhere or in the hose to the shower? or do you mean filters in the shower itself?

filters on the pump are in the end of the flexi inlets to the pump.
isolate the hot/cold feeds to the pump then place a towel around the pump then you can remove the flexi hoses.

Sponsored Links
there are 4 hoses from the pump. I have turned the lever valves to the pump off. Shall I unscrew all 4 of them?

the 2 inlets have been removed and the filter looks clean. I have washed it under a tap to be sure but they look fine.

Could the problem be anything else??

if the pipe to the shower is only warm then the fault is not the shower mixer.
is the water hot in the cylinder ?

the hot water cylinder is hot, it also feed other taps and they are fine.

The pipe to the mixer from the pump is hot to the touch but no hot comes from the shower, well just a tiny tiny dribble. Nothing really at all.

then i would be looking at any filters in the mixer or the thermostatic cartridge in the shower.

what model mira is it ?

sorry let me write my last post again. Pipe from cylinder to pump is hot (normal) but from pump to mixer is not too hot, just warm to touch really.

right then i would check the pump is running on the hot side.
isolate the hot remove the flexi outlet from the pump and hold over a bucket open the isolation valve and the flow into the bucket should kick the pump in and give a fast flow.
if the pump don't kick in then the hot side is not pumping.

Does it kick in when the hose is removed and the water goes into the bucket fine. If so maybe the shower faulty. Or the hose maybe from the pump to the mixer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back