House in France under Renovation

June 2009. Sattelite dishes installed and working. Slating rear first. Front later.
[GALLERY=media, 18969][/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 18968][/GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
August 2009 Slating, Ridge tiles etc complete.
[GALLERY=media, 18970][/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 18971][/GALLERY]

Weather tight upstairs again.
[GALLERY=media, 18972][/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 18973][/GALLERY]

September 2009. Excavations for terrasse.
[GALLERY=media, 18974][/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 18975][/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 18976][/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 18977][/GALLERY]

October 2009. Concrete for terrasse finished. Most of retaining wall constructed. 150mm clearance left for facing with stone in the future.

[GALLERY=media, 18978][/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 18979][/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 18980][/GALLERY]

Outdoor cooking area to be completed in the future.
GALLERY]

Side access (for maintenance, access, etc.). Hole in wall in fireplace now closed.
GALLERY]

'Spoil' mostly levelled and seeded, for friends camping.
GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
Fascinating stuff! and as previous said, you're a brave man. The roof looks a treat, where did the slate come from? I read that you used a "chainage" is that the name for the "u"shaped blocks that form a kind of ringbeam around the wallplate height? Are those suitable for lintols too?
Do you find materials in France to be expensive?

Fascinating stuff! and as previous said, you're a brave man. The roof looks a treat, where did the slate come from? I read that you used a "chainage" is that the name for the "u"shaped blocks that form a kind of ringbeam around the wallplate height? Are those suitable for lintols too?
Do you find materials in France to be expensive?

Thanks for your comments (and Nitronick) The slate is Spanish slate, about 50 centimes each (2 for 1 Euro) 270mm X 180mm I think they were.
But a neighbour's brother works for a local BM so we had a good discount.
We used stainless hooks not nails. Much better IMO, no hammering, easily maintained in future, and as secure if not more so.

Yes 'chainage' are the 'U' shaped blocks, 500mm X 200mm X 200mm. I don't see how you could use 'em for lintels. They're only 500mm long so would need support while the concrete sets, in which case why not just shutter and cast in situ. But they're excellent for ring beams. You could continue the rebar straight through though.

Price of materials is on par IMO.
Here's a link to the local Brico Depot (Owned by the same chain as B&Q shed). You can compare yourself.
http://www.bricodepot.fr/st-brieuc/

Timber same price'ish but better quality. However 75mm X 50mm not easily available off-the-shelf. they will cut down 150mm X 50 though.
Plumbing is sometimes peculiar 'cos the taps are often sold without olives/nuts so you have to sort that sperately. Often shower cubicles and complete kitchens are cheaper.
I haven't been able to find ballast at all. Sand is only concreting type sand.
You can buy 'Multibat' which is 50% cement & 50% lime.
Plaster is more like 'plaster of paris' but there are at least 2 different setting speeds.
Often you have to pay a deposit on pallets and have to pay for delivery.
Primer paint is usually a combined primer/undercoat.
So there's plenty of differences to find out about.

Looking great mate, can't wait to see more pics on the progress.

Worked on a bungalow in France last yr & used "chainage" as you said as shuttering for lintols on a couple of openings. Mainly because the idiot I was working for ran over the lintols with a teleporter & was too tight to buy new ones. Used rebar through , then he put the wall plate & roof straight on top- a complete cowboy. This was using "poteau" blocks I think they were called ie terra cotta. The job was a complete farce & he complained endlessly at the prices in France. For instance he said a barrow was over 100 euros, nonetheless, we got it up in under 2 weeks inc flooring. He was such a nob, he didnt want to invest in scaffold, so we fell out & going to court next week :D
He insisted that prices in France were high, interesting to hear your view, the slates sound very reasonable.
I can't imagine why anyone wants to newbuild when the renovation market is so good out there, saw loads of really fine stone houses begging for a bit of tlc. Yours is looking good though, keep posting the piccies.

I think the person you were working for, in France, was either, as you said, a plonker and/or the local BMs had sussed him out and treated him accordingly.
For instance, if you search on that url that I supplied earlier for a brouette (wheelbarrow) you'll see that you can buy at least two, maybe three, for 100 Euros.
Scaffold is echafaudage, so you can compare prices yourself.

I think the neighbours are 'au fait' with building techniques and they can see if you're making a decent job and they'll comment, advise and offer what assistance they can. If not they'll probably think "Quel idiot" (what a plonker) and mind their own business.
For instance, a neighbour drives a lorry and swapped shifts/vehicles with his mate to deliver about 27 tonne of sand and the same again of gravel for me.
As I mentioned before a neighbour introduced us to his brother who works at a local BM.
When you go to the BMs, they welcome you with a handshake and are helpful with your enquiries. They'll even direct you to another BM if they don't stock what you're looking for and they know others do.

My missus probably helps with the friendly charm. She doesn't speak French and the neighbours don't speak English but they often walk around our garden and theirs, talking to each other about the plants/flowers. It beats me how they understand each other. But they get along.

The French tend to be the ones who build new.
Some buildings fall into disrepair 'cos the local farmer might buy up the complete neighbouring farm when it comes up for sale, and just let the house fall into a ruin. There's no tax payable on houses that are inhabitable. I think it's land over 1 hectare has to be offered to local farmers first, then to the local commune before it's available for private sale. But the buyer has to negotiate the sale price before it's offered to others. Partly explains the 3 month time lag on sale processes.

I'll wait for the weather to warm up a bit before I continue. Next job, after finishing the BBQ, will be replacing the floor on the ground floor. About 6 cubic metres of concrete!

That terrasse will get used every evening after work for a couple of beers!
It's been used that way for the last two years before it was a terrasse!

Thx for that - interesting stuff, the guy is a lying git, so I'm not surprised.
Do you know the correct name of the terra cotta blocks which are glued together, photo supplied(hopefully):- As you can see the doorway on the far left has the chainage lintol, notice the block supports.

Brique Alveolaire are the terracota bricks according to the Brico Depot catalogue. But they don't have 'em in the online catalogue. They do chainage blocks in this terracota as well. Is this what the lintel was made of in that far left doorway?
I would have gone for pre-cast lintels in that situation. Got to be easier and possibly cheaper than using chainage blocks. The only reason why I cast mine in-situ was 'cos the walls are about 700mm thick. I would have had to use about 7 lintels side by side.

There's not many windows in that house, considering we're looking at the south'ish faceing side.

There's a window behind the teleporter & another in the shade so there are 3 biggish ones to a fairly small elevation. The right hand set back is a garage.The large central door lets onto a proposed internal pool, which isn't dug yet :confused:
There were lintols, but as I said earlier he trashed them with that teleporter. Personally, I don't think that the chainage is substantial enough as a stand alone lintol & said so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back