British Gas Magna Clean quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

getting my plate exchanger replaced on my Worcester 28CDi tomorrow, the BG chap that came round said that i was daft not to fit a magnaclean filter at the same time, he quoted me £350 fitted so i said i would speak to the mrs etc and let him know. He then said that he needed to know so he could book it in and tie the two jobs together, i said that i would need to look at it as its a lot of money and again he said he needed to know now as i wouldnt be able to book it at al later date, so i binned it off as i am not signing up to £350 of work without looking into it. Sure enough a quick search on the ole tinterweb shows exactly the same piece of equipment (Adey magnaclean pro filter) showing up as £83. Looking at all the instructions (which say it is a simple job) it seems very straight forward, does this mean that £350 minus filter price £80 approx makes for a labour charge of £270? how long does the job take? he also said that if they didnt supply and fit my warranty/homecare is not covered, he then also threw in a few horror stories like
"if you have removed one of your radiators to paint behind it and replace it, in the event of your house burning down your home insurance is invalid if the insurance company find out that you removed and replaced the rad as you are not gas qualified"

??

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a joker, price for labour is ridiculous considering the other work he is doing.

I would be more worried he thinks your radiators are full of gas to be honest, lol.

The price was from his laptop, apparantly normal BG prices, surely can tbe right

BG prices are always rather high apart from some fixed price repairs where expensive parts are needed.

You did not say how much they are charging for replacing the plate HE on your boiler.

Thats a nasty job and engineers in the know usually suggest a Worcester fixed price repair which might be about £230.

We would want to charge £250 for removing and cleaning it. Last one I did took about 3¼ hours but that was for a nice fellow who I treat as a friend.

Supply and fit a Magnaclean about £150 if we are doing other work at the same time.

Tony

Sponsored Links
all the work for the plate exchanger is covered by my homecare as the system is leaking so classes as a breakdown so i am not being charged for any of it :)

But if you tell your friends ..." If I didn`t have Homecare, it would have cost me ....." . Sales by stealth/ frighteners :rolleyes:

hmm, suspect price.

if has the system drained down he should be able to quote around £200, thats assuming its a sealed system. if its open vented or 28mm pipe its more.

i work for bg n the price does sound dodgy
has he only quoted to fit a magnaclean? what area is it? and what size magnaclean has he quoted for?

he is right in saying that repetitive faults due to poor sys water/sludge may not be covered if you dont do anything about it

WHO takes 3.5 hours to change a plate on a cdi and why would someone pay £250 to have one CLEANED and put back when a brand new one is only £100 and is about half hour labour

has he only quoted to fit a magnaclean? what area is it? and what size magnaclean has he quoted for?

he is right in saying that repetitive faults due to poor sys water/sludge may not be covered if you dont do anything about it

he said hang on i need to check prices as its all fixed, double clicked a few things on the laptop and said it was £480 for the small magnaclean and a limescale filter fitted, he said best to do it at the same time as the plate exchanger, i asked hjow much just for the magnaclean and he said £350, as i mentioned before this is purely to fit the filter as all the other work is covered by my homecare, i knew it sounded expensive

he said hang on i need to check prices as its all fixed, double clicked a few things on the laptop and said it was £480 for the small magnaclean and a limescale filter fitted, he said best to do it at the same time as the plate exchanger, i asked hjow much just for the magnaclean and he said £350, as i mentioned before this is purely to fit the filter as all the other work is covered by my homecare, i knew it sounded expensive

Whether working on the system or not we would charge £140 + vat for a Magna clean and if im right the Worcester 28CDi heat exchanger is a next to nothing job.

Sounds like the twin tech has been quoted for as that price is too much for the standard one. Even so if it's drained then it could be done cheaper anyway.

get your heat ex sorted by them and get someone else in to fit a magnaclean.....or do it yourself....no gas work, bit of plumbing!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back