Terminal Block and 'Wrapping with Tape'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like, if I may, to cast myself upon the mercy of the forum yet again..... :confused:

I have the instructions for a ceiling mounted luminaire. This states that the loop-in terminal block (a very standard bit of 4 way choc block supplied with brown, blue, earth already connected) should be 'wrapped in electrical tape once wiring is complete'.

Now since the backplate is flush mounted to the ceiling, and the pre-fitted choc block is on the outside (and not particularly an integral part of the light fitting), the only place to put it is in the ceiling void.

This seems to run contrary to some of the threads here recently - in fact I have a dim recollection of a similar question.

Can anyone advise if this one of those Bad Things, or not?

Ta!

Sponsored Links
its accessable. i.e it can be found if needed, and is in a obvious place. they shouldnt be used buried in walls etc. i sometimes tape the connectors but most of the time i dont

best use
CHOCBOXA.JPG
from tlc

breezer said:
best use
CHOCBOXA.JPG
from tlc

do we have to use that background aswll? mayb be too big to fit thru a small hole above a light :D

Sponsored Links
Thx guys - the choc block cover looks smart.

Off topic follow-up question ..... what is that wiring shown in the picture? Telephone or Alarm system?

Careful_Bodger said:
Thx guys - the choc block cover looks smart.

Off topic follow-up question ..... what is that wiring shown in the picture? Telephone or Alarm system?

its telephone cable (you can tell by the white stripes in the colours, green with white stripes)

either phone cable or twisted pair network cable

from the core count i suspect the latter.

note: if you want to run at 100mbit this is probablly not the smartest way to join network cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back