Advice needed for guttering/drainage of rain water please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our row of cottages has guttering running the full length at the front and one gutter down pipe which comes down between our house and next door. This used to have a gutter pipe bend at the bottom and the pipe continued horizontally along our neighbours drive and onto the path by the side of the road. It had a slight angle to let the water down it.

This horizontal pipe was inevitably broken by being stood on and so the previous tenant cut it right back. This means all the rain water goes into our front garden a few inches from our house. Even since this has happened our cellar floods. A big puddle appears. We live on a big hill and the previous owner, who lived in the house 15 years, said it has never had any water, so it must be the sheer volume of rain water coming from the gutter pipe.

I am trying to work out what to do next. There is no drain we can direct the water into, the only thing I can think is to extend the pipe back again so that it drains onto the path and then down into the roads drain. Who can I speak to for help? The Council? The water company? Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I think, up until a few years ago it wasn't legal but it was ignored by Local Authorities to drain across the pavement. Now you need to obtain explicit planning permission, I believe.

The alternative is to construct a soakaway in your front garden but the '5 meter from a building' rule might require some compromise.

You need to talk to your LA in the first instance, Planning to see if you can replace the discharge across the pavement, if not then Building Control to see how you can provide a soakaway, if not the the local water board to see if you can discharge to foul drains.

Finally, your neighbour(s) has/have absolutely no right to discharge surface water to your property so a joint solution would be a sensible way forward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back