spur from a lighting ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to create a socket from a through wall into a garage which has only one existing electrical socket which is already spurred. There is however an accessible cable close by leading to the light switch for the garage. Can I spur from here using a 30a JB? I have it in my head that I can't but don't know why. If not what options do I have?

Sponsored Links
symonbrum said:
There is however an accessible cable close by leading to the light switch for the garage. Can I spur from here using a 30a JB?

It looks like you are saying you want to put a soket on a cable that you know goes to a light switch?

I am happy to say thankyou for asking, but the answer is that you should get 3 quotes from electricians to do the job, as the to do the job will be breaking part p (try a search) and judguing by your question you have no idea about electrical wiring and its principals

Leaving part P aside for the moment, there are reasons other than fickle political whim why you can't do it.

For a start, you are highly unlikely to find a neutral wire leading to a light switch. What you will most likely find is a flat twin and earth cable in which the black wire is switched live, not neutral. If you connect a socket across these two, nothing much will happen - until you try to use the socket. The light will come on and whatever you plugged in won't work properly.

Even if you follow that wire back to a its light fitting or junction box where there will be a real neutral, putting a socket on a lighting circuit is a bad idea because they are only rated at five amps - or six if you're lucky. Every time somebody tries to use that socket for something big, like a washing machine for example, the fuse in the consumer unit will blow and lots of lights will go out.

Your new socket should, like the other one, be spurred off a 30 amp circuit. If you can't figure out how to do this then take Breezer's advice and find somebody who can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back