cost of replacing consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello friends from 4 months ago..I promised I would get back to you all on the price. If you remember I was a little 'shocked' [no pun intended] by the suggestion that a quote would be £300+...this then provoked a fair amount of anger..the original topic is here but it is locked...//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=193494&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30..anyway it actually cost me £125 + VAT (and the guys were happy with the unit I had already bought. The £300+ for labour must have been London rates (we dont all live in London) and please don't start slagging off my electricians (yes! they are reputable and did all the test and issued certificates etc)
regards

Sponsored Links
How many circuits in the CU?
How long did it take?
Any chance of a photo/scan of the test results (blank out the name/address on it)?
Photo of the installed CU?

Thank you it is always good to get feed back.

My father also wanted a RCD fitting and the electrician suggested quite rightly that a consumer unit change may be better option and wanted £125 extra to fit new consumer unit rather than RCD feeding shower and under floor heating only. I told my father that was good idea and he said go ahead.

Later I called in and electrician was pulling his hair out trying to get RCD to hold in. So he temp fitted two main switches to keep the power on for that night.

That was last we saw of him. We kept at the builders about when he was returning and a couple of weeks latter they also ran off into depths of Wales.

It was a nightmare getting LABC to allow us to finish off work and to correct the mistakes made both by builders and electrician. Lucky both my son and I are qualified and could sign the installation certificate which was accepted by LABC who issued the completion certificate.

So at £125 you got a bargain. Especially if you got completion certificate as well as installation certificate.

I don't think anyone mentioned it would be £300 for labour only.

Your £125 + VAT + materials must come pretty close or more than £250, so not a huge saving on the guide price given.

Sponsored Links
Gotta second Mr Port.

If you want to showcase your wonderful bargain, please post images of the inside and outside of the unit itself, the PEB's to G & W pipes and the certs you got.

We like pictures!

Hello friends from 4 months ago..I promised I would get back to you all on the price. If you remember I was a little 'shocked' [no pun intended] by the suggestion that a quote would be £300+...this then provoked a fair amount of anger..
Which was completely unwarranted.

the original topic is here but it is locked...
Good. Given you were so amazed that professionals might actually charge fair money to do work.

.anyway it actually cost me £125 + VAT (and the guys were happy with the unit I had already bought.
What did you buy?

The £300+ for labour must have been London rates (we dont all live in London)
Dont be so ****ing cocky. Neither do most of us on this forum. I live in Yorkshire and I'd happily pay £300 for a professional to spend a day changing a consumer unit, fitting one of HIS choice in my home. I'd even make him a cup of tea and give him some biscuits.

and please don't start slagging off my electricians (yes! they are reputable and did all the test and issued certificates etc)
Lets see their work then.

PICTURES, PICTURES, PICTURES!

WHAT DO WE WANT? PICTURES! WHEN DO WE WANT THEM? NOW!

;)

Nope! She's on the PC next to mine...

Now, where was I?

Oh yes!

PICTU....

You've got the picture, haven't you?

its taking him a long time to post any pics.

Maybe he is busy researching what an EIC should look like, then attempting to recreate one using excel?

:)

Blimy, those electricians must have been running a charity - or had nothing to do for the day, we charge approx £500 to replace a CU for a 4-5 bed house, including a quality board (for which spares will be available when needed!), new tails, a PIR first to find out if there is a can of worms and the NICEIC paperwork at the end.

Never been accused of overcharging, in fact we are one of the cheaper contractors in wiltshire - so you got a bargain, or did you? is the certification you got worth the paper it's written on!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back