Bathroom Light and Fan Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Currently my bathroom has a light and fan (timer) operated via a single pull cord switch inside the bathroom.

I would like to replace the pull cord with a 2G switch mounted on the wall outside the bathroom. In addition to controlling the light, I would like to be able to use this switch to control the fan so that I could choose whether or not it comes on with the light.

I know I could do this with an additional isolator switch (eg. mounted above the door) but would prefer to just use a 2G switch as this will look neater and my wife will be able to reach it.

Is this OK or do I have to use an isolator switch as well (the bathroom has a window)?

Thanks

Simon

Sponsored Links
I assume you would still want the fan timed, ie to run on when the new switch is turned off.

You should have a 3 pole fan isolator for maintenance. This would switch the permanant live, switched live and neutral.

You should have one already; possibly in a cupboard or in the loft space.

Is the fan an in-line fan (ie in the loft with a duct to the bathroom)?

Fitting a 2 gang switch as you propose is possible, but would mean usually no one would bother to switch on the fan.

Hi Thank very much for getting back to me.

I dont have an isolator. The house is about 20 years old and I have been up in the loft and have taken a look at all the wiring.

The fan is a ceiling mounted one. I know I could swap it for one with a pull cord but I'd rather not, and as I want a light switch on the outside I'd like the fan switch to be there also.

As far as I understand I shouldn't need an isolator if I have a window (i'e I can work on it in daylight, with the upstairs lighting circuit switched off)

The bathroom isnt our main one and I dont want the fan coming on whenever anyone goes in, in the night to use the toilet.

So you have said I could do it using a 2 gang, but can I do away with the isolator or do I have to have oneto meet regulations.
Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back