Dripping from feed/expansion tank overflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have dripping from my feed/expansion tank overflow. This only occurs when the heating on and boiler fired up. When the heating is off then the overflow does not drip at all. I left the heating off for about ten hours with no dripping.

The dripping water appears to be cold but not looked in the roof yet. Surely if the ballcock valve was leaking then the water would drip constantly. I have not adjusted anything and the heating appears to be working ok.

Any ideas, thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
level set too high - expansion of water takes it above overflow :idea: Change Ballvalve anyway . Part 2 brass high pressure one ;)

At the time I turned the feed off to the ballcock and took the water in the tank to the correct level and had no problems for a month. Checked the level last week and the level had risen about a centimetre. I then replaced the ballcock washer and now a week later the swine overflow is dripping again. The drip is very slow and only when the heating is on. As the level rose by a cm with the cold feed turned off is it most likely the coil in the tank has a hole/split. There appears to be a hell of a lot of condensation on the lid but the water in the tank whilst heating on is cold.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like a partially blockage of the cold feed to the system. This would cause 'pumping over' ( see FAQ's )
With a magnet, try around the cold feed near the pump ( H connection or air seperater ) If it sticks to the Copper pipe, which normally it shouldn't, then your system has Manganite in it and requires cleaning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back