Is there a product ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello group, I recently moved into an old Edwardian house, the legacy of problems that the previous so called handy man has left us is unbelievable. Currently the annexed roof is leaking, I had to remove part of the shower room ceiling to see where it was leaking as it wasn't visible from the outside, I've included a few photo's below to show what was lurking underneath. Now that I knew where it’s leaking from, I got the roofers in for a quote, they say the entire roof needs replaced at a cost of £2,500. I just don't have this money at the moment as it’s tied up in other projects. Does anyone know if there is a temporary solution for affecting a repair to the slate roof, i.e. a covering that can be applied that will leave it impermeable to the elements?
Thanks in advance
Otto

Link to video of leak http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v709/dbdino/?action=view&current=MVI_7659.flv

Thanks for the prompt Alastair, my head is a shed!

Sponsored Links
does look like a new roof to be fair , the only temporay solution i can think of is replace any broken slates and replace the flashing might work for the short term

Had a roofer around today, says he can do it for £450, replace a couple of slate, clean down the flashing and cover the top flashing with what he described as a "fibre glass coating that'll protect the flashing" said some fancy name but didn't quite catch it.
Regards
Otto

Sponsored Links
Thanks drnail, I also thought it was rather steep. I've managed to secure some money from my offshore bank account that the missus doesn't know about, can anyone advise what my best option is, go for new Marley tiles, recycle what can be claimed from the existing roof and purchase more to cover the breakages, or get what was recommended to me today, spanish slate imports, which are apparently cheaper than reclaimed slates.?
Was also told that the slate will outlast the concrete tiles by about 100 years
Regards
Otto

your up in the lake district arnt you otto ? if so there slate aint to bad and it is local coniston way i think the quarrys are , slates deffo better optoin than concrete but it all depends on costs on your part keep us up dated otto

You could try pm'ing (send a message) 'cumbrianroofer'.
He's up your way and may offer better local advice.

I've just had another quotation delivered from a local roofer, the contrast between the previous quote for £2,500 and this one is unbelievable. i've included the 2 quotes below, with the much cheaper quote I am now thinking about getting a velux installed at the same time (which is something we planned to do in the future) do you think he will charge much for this additional request?
Regards
Otto

When you install a velux window it's normally necessary to remove part of a rafter and install at least 2 new sisters to the remaining side rafters. i.e. the rafters to the side of the velux are strenghtened by the addition of a sister rafter.
I'ts far easier to do this while the roof is being re-covered but it's not a no-extra-cost option. It's at least a couple of hours extra work, probably more.

I notice that the quotes do not include a membrane. I would query this with the roofer.

I am now thinking about getting a velux installed at the same time (which is something we planned to do in the future) do you think he will charge much for this additional request

around 3 to £400 for your velux probably.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back