loud high pitched noise coming from wlx RS60 boiler !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can someone help us, we have an old boiler Stelrad wlx rs60 boiler, about two hours ago it started making an awful highpitched sound like a smoke alarm but constant, so loud it hurts your ears. We panicked and turned everything off, decided it must be the boiler have switched it to off but pilot light is still on, we have ran hot and cold taps made no difference also bled radiators it is still screaming. We- my husband and I are know nothing about plumbing and are also penniless, we would really appreciate some help...thanks

Sponsored Links
What switch/control did you turn off?
Check that the f&e tank (small one) in loft has water in it.

as tw said check your FnE tank in the loft for water, check your system for air.

Its possible the noise was from a pump that's has become dry.

If the FnE has water inside it check the radiators and all working air venting points on the system if there is no water or air blown out then you have a blocked cold feed this will need a engineer to visit to remove the obstruction, or you can try your self in a safe manner.

hi thanks for replying so quickly, it was the themostat i think it is a dial with numbers around it and an off position so i turned it round to off also there is like a light switch box on the wall next to the boiler i switched that off too, also in the airing cupboard i turned heating and hot water to off, am i going to blow us up i am scared the noise is still going... havn't been up to the loft yet will send lee up there to look at tank...

Sponsored Links
small tank does have water in it, and rads didnt seem to have air in either when bled they all had water come out... noise still going....

Can't see how it can still make a noise if it's all off. Is the immersion turned on (probably switch in airing cupboard with a wire going to the top of the hot water tank.

If all of your controls are switched off look for your pump its the roundish thing on a pipe normaly red or grey it wilol either say grunfoss or Wilo or something like that with a wire from it.

If that is cold and not vibrating then your system is reasonably isolated.

It could possibly be a ball valve in the loft or a tap vibrating quick check for that is to open a cold top and if the nose stops thats your problem may need a new valve somewhere toilert or the cold water tank in the loft.

As for you concern no you wont blow up the pump will run if its that untill it burns out and causes a load on the fuse and pops it and then the system is isolated till a engineer visits.

So if everything is off spurs off and you are 100% sure power is isolated to the boiler the pumps silent(not in moving ect) and you still have the noise check a cold tap if it stops its a mains issue and get a plumber in and switch heating back on if it dont then id start trying to pinpoint where it is

i have had ballvalves whistle and taps but you would see the over flow going

the only other switch i can see in airing cupboard was a an actual plug in a socket which i have now turned off aswell...sorry we are totally ignorant when it comes to this sort of thing! the noise is still going

the pump on the pipe i think it says hyson on it that is cold and not moving no sound coming from it either. when we turn on cold tap noise doesn't change, i spose a good job we live next door to a park on that side! thanks for your help and for telling me we wont get blown up.. the noise goes on...

the pump on the pipe i think it says hyson on it that is cold and not moving no sound coming from it either. when we turn on cold tap noise doesn't change, i spose a good job we live next door to a park on that side! thanks for your help and for telling me we wont get blown up.. the noise goes on...

check to see if its a noise from the water main turn a tap on if it stops plumbers req if not look elsewhere.

If at all possible you could eliminate all other electrical sources for the sound by turning your power supply off at the consumer unit or pulling/switching the mcb's off till the nose stops and investigate that circuit.

If you switch it all off noise is definitely still going then that only leaves gas meter or water main.

All i can advise you to do is to start turning stuff off till you find it, Isolated the boiler and if it is off has removed the boiler, pump and boiler electrics from the possible source list.

Do you have a CO detector as brittish gas love selling, or a smoke alarm.

I know from experiance a worn out co detector can screach for ages if its a bit of a sod

when noise first started went in garage and switched all electric off at main box switched it all back on one by one noise continued the same , we have turned off main water and back on again still noise carries on.. thanks so much for your help i guess i will have to find some ear plugs!

we only have one smoke alarm in the hall..but first i thought we had an old one in the cupboard by boiler i prayed it was that in there but sadly it didnt have a battery in it!!

well only other thing is the gas, check your meter if its going around at a slow speed quite happy and as your pilot is on its ok.

if its going like the clappers then you need attention of a engineer.
(call transco )
other then that it, do you have neighbours it could be their system

if its not them then we have made all the first check i would of made to find the problem i cant think of anything else.

Let us know what the problem was

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back