Wiring up new storage heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just got two storage heaters to replace some standard wall mounted heaters as currently on a eco 7 plan,problem is i only have one outlet for the eco 7 which is in the lounge.

Was going to wire new ones up to a plug as there only rated at around 1.8KW but it seems to be bad pratice to do this so been looking to see if the outlets which my existing heaters were on could b linked to a timer,came across one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FST17-SupplyM...temQQimsxq20091002?IMSfp=TL091002163003r39437

would this work and are these easy to install as have a basic understanding of elec.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Bit iffy to me.
Units are designed to be on for a limited time.
If on too long they will overheat and turn off within the unit.
The timer needs to be reliable and not really one that can be accidently overridden to on.
It is mainly Teleswitching now, which Afaik is pretty reliable,

surely they'd have some sort of internal thermostat as well as a cutout?

why are you on eco-7 if you haven't got anything that runs on it?

do you do your washing at night?
watch a lot of midnight onwards telly?
put the slow cooker on before you go to bed?

Sponsored Links
Already have a storage heater in the front room which runs of the eco 7 night circuit but to add two more outlets for the new heaters would cause to much mess so was looking for another way other than switching heaters on at night and off in the morning.

Found a data/info sheet for the timer and it says it can b linked with storage heaters just want to know if it would b safe and can handle load etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back