Honeywell DT90e with an Oil Fired Boiler and Underfloor Heat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an underfloor heating system where the hot water is supplied by an oil fired boiler.

The underfloor heating manifolds are controlled via an older design of the DT200 Honeywell room stats. The system works fine.

I would like to change these to DT90E Honeywell room stats.

I note that the DT90E is a TPI design where as the DT200 is a simple on / off.

I have read that the DT90E should be set up with a Min On/Off time of 4 minutes and a cycle rate of 3 cycles per hour when used with an oil fired boiler.

I understand that the DT90E is a direct replacement for the DT200.

I have it in my head that the boiler will be switched on and off for 4 minutes 3 times per hour.

I know that this is wrong, but will the underfloor heating system, which operates through thermal actuators, still work the same way as it does with the DT200s ?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi

I have an underfloor heating system where the hot water is supplied by an oil fired boiler.

The underfloor heating manifolds are controlled via an older design of the DT200 Honeywell room stats. The system works fine.

I would like to change these to DT90E Honeywell room stats.

I note that the DT90E is a TPI design where as the DT200 is a simple on / off.

I have read that the DT90E should be set up with a Min On/Off time of 4 minutes and a cycle rate of 3 cycles per hour when used with an oil fired boiler.

yes if the DT90E is controlling the boiler
set it to on/off 1 minute and 12cycles per hour if its controlling the acuator

I understand that the DT90E is a direct replacement for the DT200.

correct

I have it in my head that the boiler will be switched on and off for 4 minutes 3 times per hour.
no!!
these are minimum limit times
for eg if it is set to control an oil boiler it will be set to 4
this means if the stat is satisfied it will switch off then stay off for at least 4 minutes before switching on again regardless of temperature set! so if the temp dropped within a minute say then the boiler will be prevented from firing till the 4 minutes are up

I know that this is wrong, but will the underfloor heating system, which operates through thermal actuators, still work the same way as it does with the DT200s ?

Many thanks.
yes but see answers above

Matt

Cheers matt1e

You are right - each of the DT200s are connected to a thermal actuator which in turn controls the oil fired boiler. The DT90E will work in the same way.

What does the cycle rate mean for a thermal actuator which is connected to an oil fired boiler ? 12 cycles per hour - does this mean that the actuator will be opened and closed every 5 minutes i.e. 12 times per hour thus firing the boiler 12 times per hour if there is a demand for heat from the DT90E ?

Sponsored Links
hi
not quite, the cycle rate is the amount of times per hour that the unit will switch on and off during the on time and within the proportional band
the default proportional band for the DM90 is 1.5 degrees but to make it easier to understand we will persume its been set to 2 degrees
so say for example the heating is on from say 10 till 12 and the temp is set for 20 degrees this means that if the room temp is
above 21 degrees the output will be fully off
below 19 degrees the output will be fully on
inbetween 19 and 21 (the proportional band width) then the output will cycle on and off for what ever times per hour are set in the cycle rate
but it will only do this between 10 and 12 in the example above (the set on time)
this gives better temp control

Matt

As you say the DT90E is a TPI controller. It controls how long the boiler is on depending on the difference between actual and required room temperatures. When the difference is high the boiler will be running continuously when it gets within about 2C of the required temperature it will start cycling.

If the cycle rate is three minutes per hour, then the cycle length is 20 minutes. How much of that 20 minutes the boiler is on will depend on the difference between actual and required temperatures. The smaller the difference, the less of the 20 minutes will be on.

The minimum ON time (not OFF time) is just what it says. The boiler will stay on for this time, even if the TPI controller asks for less. I don't know why this is necessary - probably due to the way the boiler works and the time it needs to get up to temperature.

As you are controlling the boiler through thermal actuators, it might be a good idea to ask Honeywell what settings to use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back