Time to replace boiler but current flu NCS, options....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I never cease to be impressed with the knowledge in here as a lurker, so could anyone help a newb with a tricky one...

I live in a 3 bed detached, with a 1.5 meter alley-way between me and the neighbours. There are no windows or doors on this side of either property. This is my neighbours land and his legitmate access from front of house to garden. I have this on the other side but it isn't fouled by another property.

I have a aging Grade G non-combi in the Kitchen and the flu is directly behind it and straight through the external wall into the alleyway. Installed 20 yrs ago when I guess this was OK. Time coming to get a new boiler, but straight swap not an option due to flu boundary regs.

Having had BG and indies round to survey and quote, I have some options. Problem is they contradict a bit. I want to protect myself 110% and be sure before going ahead with anything that there will be no comeback on a future inspection or difference of opinion.

Loft... Please no lofts arent my thing, i'm heavy and it's only part boarded, the ceilings are already saggy and the apex has water tanks and a TV aerial making access real awkward.

Internal garage... This is the in front of the kitchen and makes the boiler move a straight line down the wall affair. And a gutter drain handy outside. If it went near the front it could vent straight up through a pitched roof, but between wall and garage door clearance there is only 11.5". BG said an ISIS(?) would fit in that gap but I would love to know if there are other options. Could go back deeper into the garage to avoid the door, but then it's a good couple of meters with 2 or 3 turns to get back out the pitched roof.

Bathroom (upstairs).... same side of house as current, but presumably tgoing up and out the roof. A definate maybe but it would be a case of dodging the boiler when walking into the bathroom.

Stay put... It's been suggested the existing flu hole could be used, but then pipe it up the outside wall some distance and use an anti-pluming kit, and depending on distances could maybe just get it pointed back over my rear boundary.

I understand the manufacturer boiler specs determine what flu options are possible and over what distances, but I don't have a library of manuals to hand :)

Anything anyone could share with me for the above scenario around a) slim boiler options b) what kind of flu runs and distances can be achieved with the right kit c) how far away can a drain be? front of garage has one, but how would the loft or bathroom find one, can it use the internal soil stack? are there any regs around drain runs or can any old plumbing effort get you there?

Thank you so much!!!

Sponsored Links
Airing Cupboard? Vertical Flue?

Wasn't fussed about going Combi, which I guess i'd have to make the space, but thats fine if it's the best overall solution. Airing cupboard is an excellent suggestion but can you hang a boiler on a partition wall?

Could it be BG said an isar would fit? if so tell them to pi55 off u could not buy a worse boiler.Have a look on here at ideal isar
be warned!

Sponsored Links
Come on now all boilers have problems yeah it took a long time but have you seen the brand new isar and icos leaving the factors ?

nice metal components v9 more reliable boards and alot of revisons from the early models.

Heck if u want to boiler bash how about viessmen the eu pioneer of condensing boilers that have gas valves that can blow up peoples homes and they decided not to tell the UK market for some reason.

The problems now with the new vaillant boilers going plastic and cheap as chips design. and the many other boiler problems.

Worscester greenstar wireless stats going tits up by wifi internet from BT home hubs.

Take a look at the Ideal logic + the new boiler they came out which is 10 years over due and very reliable in recent trials in 16,000 homes all metal very little plastic Viessman pcb Very VERY reliable honeywell gas valves Very reliable and they adapted to how the installers wanted.

Could it be BG said an isar would fit? if so tell them to pi55 off u could not buy a worse boiler.Have a look on here at ideal isar
be warned!

Isar.. Isis... if it's a slim one thcan could well be, sorry I tuned out after they'd given me a price :eek:

Have read too many threads on here about compliance issues, even on modern installs, so I want to do some homework. Just read a thread on here about an inspection fail on flu because it couldnt be checked where it went through a ceiling, ceiling had to be cut for checks and repaired after. Is that a reason to avoid an upstairs or airing cupboard install? I think my house is gunna be awkward so really need to get this right.

Is there any kind of flu routing possible that could be used on the wall facing the neighbours land as the initial exit? At least that way it's all clearly visible. I get the impression the regs are about my neighbour not walking by his house and getting a face full of water and gas vapour - so if it's way up high and pointing up, but still technically over his boundary does anyone know if can that be done within regs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back