Ideal Mini C28 Boiler not igniting!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The heating went off in the middle of the set time and will not re-ignite!!!
The red lockout light came on and we tried to reset but didn't work, sounds like its trying to but fails.
The appliance on lamp is flashing every 2 seconds.
Pressure reads just above 1 on the front dial.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The heating went off in the middle of the set time and will not re-ignite!!!
The red lockout light came on and we tried to reset but didn't work, sounds like its trying to but fails. !
The appliance on lamp is flashing every 2 seconds.
Pressure reads just above 1 on the front dial.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

funny enough mine went off on wednesday too with the same problem just as I was expecting company!!!
the ignition PCB (honeywell one in my case) had about a dozen dry joints so did a quick resoldering job and all was well..........................till about 5 hours later when it went off again!!
so I resoldered properly this time (next day with clear head !!!)

as to your boiler it may or may not be the problem but its the first place I would look as its not uncommon with these boilers
a new ignition pcb is approx £97 + vat from our suppliers
but its usually dry joints on the board under 4 or 5 resisters and one of the relays,so a repair of the board is pretty easy
changing this pcb is like for like ie there are no adjustments on the board that affect the boiler operation,so if you are competent.......
bear in mind that the problem could be elsewhere
also the flashing light is normally off 1 second and on 1 second when there is a demand for heat so yours (on every 2 seconds)is normal,so I would suspect that there is a problem with ignition
you can put the boiler into service mode which will operate the diagnostic leds on the control pcb but really you should not be touching that one,my moneys on the ignition pcb anyway(though could be other things ie gas valve,flame detection probe etc)

Matt

When you give a demand for heat and reset the ignition lockout then can you see a spark through the viewing window. best watched with the lights out!

Do you have a working gas cooker?

Tony

When you give a demand for heat and reset the ignition lockout then can you see a spark through the viewing window. best watched with the lights out!

Do you have a working gas cooker?

Tony

good advice,as tony as said do these visual checks first

matt

Sponsored Links
That red light is an indication that there is a demand for hot water. Its not relevant to your problem.

If there is no sparking then the most likely senario is that the ignition PCB has failed. But a competent boiler engineer would be doing a few other checks.

The actual manufacturer is Biasi and their part number for that PCB is BI 1305101. They are probably easier to find as a Biasi part number and possible a bit cheaper.

Tony

Thanks for all the help everybody.
We've taken the PCB board out and its black on the back so obviously this has burnt out..Phoning Saber in the morning for a new PCB...

That red light is an indication that there is a demand for hot water. Its not relevant to your problem.

If there is no sparking then the most likely senario is that the ignition PCB has failed. But a competent boiler engineer would be doing a few other checks.

The actual manufacturer is Biasi and their part number for that PCB is BI 1305101. They are probably easier to find as a Biasi part number and possible a bit cheaper.

Tony

Thanks for the advice and part number. Managed to find a new one on Ebay for £84.99 which I have bought...Most places were charging £93 plus VAT..

Thanks again.

We've taken the PCB board out and its black on the back so obviously this has burnt out..Phoning Saber in the morning for a new PCB...
Hi, just joined the forum to reply to this post. Sorry to dredge up and old one!
I've got exactly the same problem. My Ideal Mini C28 (about 7 years old) packed up in the middle of a shower the other day. I got a plumber out who has quoted me a possible £650 to repair (he said could be PCB, gas regulator, flue fan etc, and the pressure regulator vessel is knackered) or £1580 to fit a Vaillant. He showed me the control board, big black burn mark on the back of it, burnt out PCB trace. I'm happy to replace it, but mine is the Honeywell board, looks like this:

_BI1305101.jpg

Rather than the BI1305101 (thanks for the part number) board that looks like this:

_BI1305101.jpg

My question is, are the boards interchangeable?

can't tell for sure but top one has two connections bottom right that i can't see on the lower one.
also is the lower one an authorised board for this boiler? i doubt it

op, yes they are interchangable
kevin, yes its an authorised board and if you are talking about terminals j7 and j8 they are there if you look closely :)- clue they are the connections for the ignition electrodes

Matt

The two PCBs are of different makers but totally interchangeable.

But no one in their right mind would buy a reapired one from Adlink !

But be aware that there can be other causes for a boiler not working.

Tony

Thanks for the speedy replies. I am considering buying from adlink simply because I just need to get the boiler going again as cheaply as possible. As the pressure vessel needs fixing/replacing as well (which means taking the boiler off the wall) I want to spend the minimum amount. I plan to replace the boiler during the summer when I have more time (I'm a teacher) and money.

The board seems to be priced around £100 and up, and I'll need a plumber to check the gas flow etc properly when it's replaced. Are adlink really that bad? This is what their website says:

Do your bit for the environment and recycle your old Printed circuit boards (PCB's)! As long as it is in good condition and not badly damaged, cracked, burnt or subject to DIY random soldering/incomplete, send it to us and we will do the rest. There are two options; either simple exchange, where you send us the faulty PCB first and we send you the replacement, or secondly, an advance replacement service if you need the item urgently and can't wait, you can pay us a deposit of £30 Which will be refunded once we receive the old PCB back.

Adlink will endeavour to send a reconditioned Printed Circuit Board (PCB) out before we receive the old part. Please note in all cases this may not be possible. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

I assumed that they just checked and repaired any board that gets sent to them, but perhaps what you're saying is that there is no guarantee that I'll get a working board.

Their price is £40 for an exchange, but I don't think I can do that as my board is burnt out, so I suppose it will be £70 including their £30 deposit. Otherwise a new board is around £105 (which is starting to make more sense if it's a repaired board from adlink for £70) from places like Discounted Spares, unless you can suggest any other place I look?

Okay, another update on my boiler. Plumber came out this morning, and spoke to Ideal technicians while testing. He says it's the gas valve shorting out that blew the board; a replacement board would just blow again. He's quoted me £500 for a new gas valve and board, including fitting and VAT. Trouble is, the pressure vessel would still need replacing.

So £500 to get it working again (I'm not prepared to mess around with the gas valve myself), ending up with a 7-year old Ideal boiler that still needs fixing, or do I just get a new Vaillant boiler fitted that is going to cost £1300-1500 fitted? I can't wait until the summer holidays when I would have time to do the fitting myself.

Hi, just joined the forum to reply to this post. Sorry to dredge up and old one!
I've got exactly the same problem. My Ideal Mini C28 (about 7 years old) packed up in the middle of a shower the other day. I got a plumber out who has quoted me a possible £650 to repair (he said could be PCB, gas regulator, flue fan etc, and the pressure regulator vessel is knackered) or £1580 to fit a Vaillant. He showed me the control board, big black burn mark on the back of it, burnt out PCB trace. I'm happy to replace it, but mine is the Honeywell board, looks like this:

_BI1305101.jpg

Rather than the BI1305101 (thanks for the part number) board that looks like this:

_BI1305101.jpg

My question is, are the boards interchangeable?

Hi, Our original PCB board was a Honeywell and we have replaced it with a BI1305101. We bought our new board from Ebay a seller called UK Heating Spares Limited based in Preston Lancs. It cost us £84.99 with free postage and packaging and was delivered next day. My wife fitted it herself while I was at work. Everything has been working fine since. Goodluck and hope this helps....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back