trouble changing the washer on a faulty toilet cistern valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m having trouble changing the washer on a faulty toilet cistern valve.

Whenever I’ve changed washers in the past it’s always been a simple case of unscrewing the top section and then changing washers – but this one has me beaten for the moment.

The top section is either VERY tight or isn’t designed to unscrew. I thought it may clip in but having put a small screwdriver down the side that doesn’t seem to be the way forward either.

Any ideas from anyone?

Peter

Sponsored Links
The problem with these foreign made float valves is when you do finally find the washer inside where do you find a replacement?
If I was faced with this job I would just replace the whole valve with a Torbeck or Fluidmaster or Armitage Shanks unit. Less than a tenner. Far less messing about.

Once you've got it to the stage in pic 3 then it just needs the top part to be turned a couple of mm anti clock if I remember right, but don't hold me to that one. I worked on one of these last week & I ended up changing the whole lot as it was easier.

Sponsored Links
Once you've got it to the stage in pic 3 then it just needs the top part to be turned a couple of mm anti clock if I remember right, but don't hold me to that one. I worked on one of these last week & I ended up changing the whole lot as it was easier.
Was it VERY tight to turn?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back