fitting a surrey flange

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having air problems so i want to fit one of these, but currently my hot water pipe comes straight out the top of the tank 10 inches and bends horizontally then tee's down to the pump, ie one pipe

why does the surrey flange have two fittings?

Sponsored Links
IIRC top tapping is for connection to existing vent/supply to taps. Side tapping is connected to the dip tube on the flange, and is for dedicated supply to the shower/pump. Therefore takes the water from lower into the cylinder, preventing air being drawn in and the pump cavitating.

IIRC top tapping is for connection to existing vent/supply to taps. Side tapping is connected to the dip tube on the flange, and is for dedicated supply to the shower/pump. Therefore takes the water from lower into the cylinder, preventing air being drawn in and the pump cavitating.

Ah, then i have a problem because i dont have a dedicated hot supply to the shower, its the same supply that feeds the bath and sink taps, and the pump is connected to this supply.

can i feed the side tapping to the pump and just have the top as a vent?

Ah, then i have a problem because i dont have a dedicated hot supply to the shower, its the same supply that feeds the bath and sink taps, and the pump is connected to this supply.

can i feed the side tapping to the pump and just have the top as a vent?

I don't see why not, that's certainly how I plumbed mine in for the same reason.

Sponsored Links
I would fit the Surrey flange as per instructions, reconnect existing outlet to vent/hot water supply to top tapping and remove the shower connection.

Reconnect hot supply to shower pump from side tapping on Surrey flange, this is what its designed for.

Reconnect hot supply to shower pump from side tapping on Surrey flange, this is what its designed for.

Then he'll lose that whoooosh at the basin :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I would fit the Surrey flange as per instructions, reconnect existing outlet to vent/hot water supply to top tapping and remove the shower connection.

I would like a dedicated feed to the shower, but thats a fairly major job thats going to have to wait a while.
also,having the improved flow at the bath is kinda usefull :)

How is the shower fed at the moment? Should have independant feeds from cylinder and cold storage. The hot feed to the shower should then be connected to the side tapping on the flange.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back