Gas Fire - Precast Flue - Flue Upgrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a pre-cast flue with a ridge tile vent

I'm having the system upgraded today as there is a leak where the flue blocks connect to the 'pipe' in the loft space.

This upgrade is costing me £300.

Should I expect to receive some kind of gas safety certificate on completion of the work to show that the flue upgrade is up to modern standards? (is it a CORGI type / building standards requirement?)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
it isnt mandatory to supply paperwork for this type of work but if you make it a contract detail between you and the RGI doing the job then you will get one, basically you need something signed and dated detailing the work and confirming that a flue flow test was carried out and passed, then when a suitable appliance is fitted the RGI will test and commission to ensure flue is allowing POC's to evacuate to outside

Thanks Kirkgas,

Is a 'flue flow test' the same as the smoke test, ie to check there are no leaks in the flue ?

The guy that's completing the upgrade is different to the guy that's fitting my new gas fire - I'm expecting a safety certificate from the guy installing the fire, but obviously I want the guy who's upgrading the flue to certify the modernisation of the flue - So basically I can ask him for a document to say that the work was carried out by him?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
yes a flue flow test is a smoke test, your precast flue alteration should be carried out by a gas qualified engineer not a builder, but in reality most of this work is done by builders (doesnt make it right) the gas guy will need to satisfy himself that the fire can be fitted and then is safe when operating

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back