diverter valve replacement

kbw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a fairly good knowledge of plumbing but have never done any work on a boiler, I have a WB 28cdi which gives me central heating but no hot water, been advised that it is the diverter valve, is this a real bad job to do or easy, also any ideas where i would possibly get the valve from please.

Sponsored Links
can be a nasty job or it can go quite smoothly, depends on how rough the boiler is.

dont change the diverter, remove the diaphragm in situ and replace it, much cheaper.

I have a fairly good knowledge of plumbing but have never done any work on a boiler, I have a WB 28cdi which gives me central heating but no hot water, been advised that it is the diverter valve, is this a real bad job to do or easy, also any ideas where i would possibly get the valve from please.

For me i find them an absoloute nightmare.
All attached seals will need replacing and I have been stuck on these for hours trying to stop leaks.
Just my own experience mind

HI

agree with the last post.28cdi i find nightmare.

Sponsored Links
its just good or bad luck really.

like i say the condition of the boiler is a factor, remove less and have less potential issues, thats why i remove the diverter head and not the whole thing.

if i was independant i wouldnt bother.

its just good or bad luck really.

like i say the condition of the boiler is a factor, remove less and have less potential issues, thats why i remove the diverter head and not the whole thing.

if i was independant i wouldnt bother.

Im independant mate and have learned not to.

I quote 2 & 1/2 hours labour. Nickso has summed it up really. I like changing them as when I get the call usually 2 or 3 rgi's have turned the job away. Good for business if your prepared to give it a go. I have picked up loads of customers for doing these type of jobs.

Id rather have 150 quid in my sky rocket for spending a morning / afternoon putting one in than pass it to Worcester.

yeah CDI. Good generally reliable boiler,,,,but,,,,so many basic jobs onit are so difficult. Expansion vessel, unless a remote can be fitted, nightmare, well invloved shall we say. Isolation valves well lets not go there,,one option boiler off the wall. Bosch engineer said to me "Yeah bit of a design fault,, ha ha." Boiler off the wall to change valves whats that all about. Diverter valve,,, not to bad if the boiler is upstairs and you have all the "o" rings.

the cdi is in the top ten of unreliable turds, its official....look it up. :LOL:

it leaks to much has nasty brittle plastics, almost anything on the bottom half is difficult/timeconsuming whereas the top half is simplicity itself....unless its open vented.

as for the expansion vessel, i dont remember ever changing one but ive heard plenty of nightmares about it. a 3/8th cap fits on the pump connection to the vessel and then its a simple case of piping in an external one.

isolation valves can be done with boiler on wall, but its a pig no matter what option you take.

I took a trainee ( who now posts here ) to do one of these for this fellow whom I treat as a friend.

It took him/us 2¼ hours and even that was without recasing it as I needed to fit a new timeclock the next day.

The main purpose of the exercise was to teach him that its a job which can be done but its not usually an economic job to take on.

Tony

thats the way.....trusty old angled screwdriver. :)

Looks as if the OP has gone very quiet on the CDi diverter. I think he has disconnected the bypass and hung himself after days of trying to get the clip back in. :LOL:

Ollski, i have done this method, do you manage to get all the screws back in on the housing? I find that the back one never goes in such a limited space, i just leave it out and it doesn't leak. Or am i missing something?

ive almost given up getting the bypass clip back in before. now i carry a spare pipe in case my "stretching" of the original breaks it. :) i once saw one tiewrapped on. :LOL:

never had much trouble getting the back two screws in myself, its fiddly but even someone with my zero patience can do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back