Changing hard-wired oven for another

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just bought a new built-in electric oven and was looking at wiring it in without calling out an electrician- hopefully a relatively simple job!
I have checked the current oven rating and this is 450V, 40A, 6f.
The new oven is 450V, 16A, 2,5f.

The oven has a dedicated circuit and I was planning to use the existing cable and wire this into the new unit (otherwise if I was to wire in the new cable, this would mean pulling out the built in units which I'd rather avoid).

Is there anything I need to do before coupling it up or is it just a case of swapping one for another?

Many thanks for your help.

Steve

Sponsored Links
That's what confused me.
It's connected to the mains and the instructions state that it must be a 230V supply so OK but I'm not sure what the 450V on the cover of the terminal board relates to??

Thanks,
Steve

Sponsored Links
That'll be the voltage the connector is rated to, i.e. factors like insulation, the spacing between terminals etc.

The problem you have is that it looks as though your new oven is designed with the expectation of a 16A circuit, which are the norm in the rest of Europe - plugs and sockets are rated to 16A, so in its country of birth it would just plug in.

Over here you can't plug it in, as our plugs & sockets are 13A, and wiring it to a cooker circuit is a problem because they are rated at more than 16A - 30 or 32A is common.

That's too high a rating to properly protect 2.5mm² flex, and it looks as if that is what your oven terminals are designed to accept. You might be able to safely get 4mm² in there, or you might not. But even if you can, if the appliance is relying on its supply being fused at 16A for its own internal safety you can't connect it to a 30/32A cooker circuit.

You might need to swap the fuse or circuit breaker for a lower value, which would be notifiable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back