Philips TV audio background noise...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time post in this section so greetings to all!
Our 6 year old box is putting out some background noise apparently...I say apparently as my younger wife and 11 year old son complain regularly about it but my older ears can barely hear it at all! Im a bit deaf compared to them I guess.
Its not consistent but on and off, a sort of screaming high pitched noise. If we had a dog he woudl not be happy either.

What can it be and is it terminal or fixable on a budget?
And if its going to go badly wrong, how long do we have doc?

All help appreciated.

Stephen

Sponsored Links
Old TV's did have a problem with high pitch whistle from the analogue receiver you may find changing the channel the analogue is tuned to will remove this.
With SCART often the tuner is still running so may still cause high pitch whistle and I am sure a TV repair man could disable the tuner but finding a TV repair man may be a problem.
If from Freeview box then likely bad laminations in the transformer used for switch mode supply and unlikely it can be cured.

If this is a physical whistle as different from a audio whistle ie if you mute the sound and the whistle is still there then it is a physical whistle coming from a component on the chassis. I will assume it is the latter then it is almost certain to be either one of the numerous coils transducer or transformers in the tv.Because diagnoses involves holding an insulated object against each suspected component (eg plastic pen etc) in turn while the tv is running to see which component is guilty as touching the component dampens the resonance and temporarily stops the whistle I would not recommend a diy job.The worst case scenario is the Line output transformer which is a major component in this case you would have to balance the ecconomics of the repair against the age of the tv as it is an expensive component.

It is def a 'physical whistle' as mute has no effect. If it continues and eventually causes a general picture/TV failure I shall go in search of a TV repairman first, rather than rush out to get a nice new 1080p HD ready flatscreen !
S

Sponsored Links
There is no reason to believe this would cause a picture or sound failure.If you can live with the irration of the whistle worse case scenario it possibly may get louder over time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back