waste stuck in toilet pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the toilets in my house has unpleasant smelly brown water in it. Once flushed it appears clean but over time goes brown again. The toilet flushes fine and doesn't appear to be blocked at all. This has been like this for sometime now. All other water in the house is fine. Could waste be stuck somewhere within the pipes? and how can I fix this?

Sponsored Links
dirty water can only come back if the waste out the back of the pan gos up hill.

true - but it could be cross contamination from another WC. The layout of the pipes needs looking @ ;)

Thanks both. I live in a new build house (we've been here 7 months) and we use this toilet extremely infrequently (never since we noticed this problem). Would you suggest we report this to the builder?

Sponsored Links
The "extremely infrequent" use could be the problem as the stagnant water has time to grow algae etc. Give it a good dose of bleach overnight and flush next morning and see if/how quickly the water discolours.

Have you watched the water level in the pan when other toilets are flushed? That might give a clue to what's going on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back