My first experience with a core drill bit...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure if this belongs in the DIY disasters section to be honest :oops:

I used my Bosch SDS 23DRE drill to drill a hole big enough for an inch and a half waste pipe through a 340mm thick wall (solid).

It took me 3 hours!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :eek: :rolleyes:

Admittedly I bought one of the Long core sets from Trade Point in B & Q :oops:. For £132 it came with the arbor, pilot bit, and a 52mm and 117mm bits (both 300mm long). The make was Armeg.

The 52mm bit eventually split at the seam weld just before it managed to make it through to the other side. (ended up chiselling the remainder of the hole).

I suppose my question is, what could I have been doing wrong for it take that long, and be that much of a pain in the ass. Did I just buy a crappy make or is my drill not up to the job either? For what its worth I'll only be making penetrations like this a couple of times a year...

Sponsored Links
sounds like inferior core bit.id take it back.
does your drill have a clutch??,if not i wouldnt use it again for core drilling.
you want to go for diamond tipped core bits.
dont use your drill on hammer.
it should never take 3 hours.

What material was the wall constructed from?

Was it damp? That can also make a huge difference.

12 inches of concrete it seemed like! It was definately all one skin, not sure though to be honest, industrial sized breeze blocks, with a thick render on the exterior.

Wasn't damp. The Core drills came with instructions that said I should have the drill set to Hammer/Rotory. I'm assuming this is why I had so many problems?

What about this one from screw fix

[/url]http://www.screwfix.com/prods/79609/Drill-Bits/Core-Drills/Diamond-Core-Drills/Ryobi-Diamond-Core-Set-8Pcs It's diamond tipped but my conc...hrough 12 inches with the extention bar? :?:

Sponsored Links
The Core drills came with instructions that said I should have the drill set to Hammer/Rotory. I'm assuming this is why I had so many problems?

Bingo - never ever use a diamond tipped core with hammer action on. This is why you've split the core, and the bad news is they will probably not give you your money back either unfortunately.

They should always be used with the hammer switched off.

The drill is unsuitable for diamond or tct core work.

stitch drilling is the preferred method with underpowered drill.

ive seen wally' use them on hammer and without a clutchless drill.not a pretty sight.

i prefer the core bits with a drill bit in the centre

I've got some cheap TCT bits for this purpose and works well with my Makita SDS, with hammer as well although I didn't need to use that on brick. With a diamond bit you don't use hammer, and its a slow speed with a core drill. I can justify buying a core drill and diamond bits just yet so this combination of TCT and SDS works well for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back