Another Worcester Bosch Greenstar 42CDi Problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's hoping one if you might be able to shed some light on my boiler issue.
I have UFH throughout the house & all water except the kitchen CW is pumped to 3bar and softened.
The boiler was purchased at the end of March last year and installed early April. (Installed according to WB is the date at which it is hung on the wall.) We had it test running to prove a few circuits in May & then was not used until we added the rest of the circuits in August. Testing was completed then boiler turned off again untill September when we moved in. Due to an issue with the electrician the boiler has run more or less 24/7 since then-yeah I know my gas bill is going to be a nightmare but hey-ho. During warmer days it has been turned off for a several hours (daytime)
Last week, my wife called me at work complaining about the boiler being noisy & she'd checked it out to find it was it was down to 0bar! She contacted the installer, who to be honest was less than helpful but he talked her through how to fill it up again. She had to full it up three times that day due to it expelling excess air, that was on the Thusday. It maintained the pressure for the rest of the day but by the evening had dropped to 0.5 bar again. So we filled it up again. On Friday morning I called the installer who simply suggested we call WB as he was more familiar with Vailant & in addition was just off to the Isle of Man for a job that would take him the next two weeks....
WB called, appointment made. Engineer arrived on Monday and makes a couple of comments about the install, one of which is pretty fundamental & should have been done by the installer & unless we rectify it, then next time they (WB) will not even look at the boiler.
That said, he proceeds to check the boiler out & can find nothing wrong. He refills to 1.25 bar & leaves. Everything runs perfectly untill Wednesday, then we note that the pressure has dropped. Wife fills up the system again. That was four days ago & we have been checking every time we walk past that pressure is ok. Here we are today, Sunday & this morning, I looked at the boiler & it was just under 1bar. Running late, I left it & then went straight to the boiler when I got back home about 6 hours later-boiler was now at 0.5bar. I've filled it up to 1.5bar & turned it back on.
I can't call WB back as the basic install issue is not resolved & I cannot take any time off to do it myself. I need to get this sorted.
I had boiler issues at my last place for 7 years & I cannot face this again.
The obvious thing is to say we have a leak but where? All the UFH circuits were pressure tested for days without any problems before being screeded. All downstairs sub floors except the kitchen are accessible & shown no sign of any leaks. As for upstairs, the bathroom & w/c are electric & again, final finished flooring has yet to be installed so anything wrong would be obvious.
I don't understand why it runs fine for days, maintaining pressure then within a couple of hours loses nearly all of it?

I'm at my wits end, having been though this once before as mentioned. Any suggestions greatfully received.

Sponsored Links
perhaps the boiler expansion vessel is not big enough to cope with the system water volume

Why would that suddenly manifest itself 4 months+ into service? We have not added any extra circuits since switching on...........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back