moving my cooker isolating switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to move the switch because wifey wants a new hob and oven and the regs say its too near the present switch..
I need to put in a new wall box,channel the wall and run a to and from cable to the exisiting wall box position.
My question .....can I join at this exisiting wall box and then cover and tile over this connection somehow..?What would be the best way to join..?
I am concerned that the join must be accesible..
The cable coming to the exisiting box is not long enough to divert to the new switch position.
Or do I have to use a junction box upstairs under the floor and run completely new cable..?The floors upstairs are bloody chipboard and a pain to get up..!!
Any ideas?

:p

Sponsored Links
What reg did you see that suggested the switch was too close?

So long as the switch isn't directly behind the cooker, i don't see why it would be a problem.

people who are installing new kitchen...say that the cooker switch has to be at least 700mm from the gas hob...at the moment it is about 500mm from the gas hob...B and Q ..by the way..

There is no such regulation*, either in wiring regs (BS7671) or UK building regs. Please do ask the electrician which reg it is (reg number) and let us know what their reply is (for our amusement!) I am assuming here that it is a real electrician who will give you a certificate for the works. Also note that it is unlikely to be an employee of B&Q, it will almost certainly be a subcontractor.

*or else i stand to be corrected shortly, but i'm pretty sure!

Sponsored Links
There is no regulation stating distance from the edge of the hob to the switch, however the Building Regs say 300mm from the edge to the switch and a height of 150mm from the worktop. This is the distances that I apply when doing a kitchen so do not know where the 500mm they say comes from. Hope this helps.

It's 500mm at the moment, they want 700mm . . . only thing I can think of it's a gas reg (or a clueless or scamming subcontractor) but i'm sure we would have heard about it before now . . . perhaps a lurking gas man can rule that one out?

Hi

I'm in an almost identical situation but my socket is less than 300mm horizontally from where I want the (edge of the) hob.

Can anybody advise on the correct way to extend the supply cable to, and reposition the current (no pun intended) socket?

Also, I know I need to inform the LA before I do it, and have it inspected afterwards, but in order to pass the inspection would my old fusewire distribution box have to be replaced by one with RCDs (or an RCD on the supply to the cooker and kitchen sockets)?

Thanks in advance for any advice

It should be moved.

If the cable to it runs vertically then that will have to be dug out and re-routed:If it runs horizontally then it may need extending or cutting back.

If you install any new concealed cabling then it should be RCD protected so your LABC may insist that you add that to the circuit, but you could meet the requirement with a standalone RCD rather than replacing the fuse box.

However - the presence of a fuse box is indicative of an installation of a certain age - it might be that replacing it and having the entire installation checked is a good idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back