Cable confusion in France

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, please help
Recently had my house re-wired. The spark has installed my oven and induction hob off one 6mm cable, the oven draws 3500w and the hob 7200.When i use the grilling function, it automatically trips out. Can anybody please offer advice

Sponsored Links
What rating is your house? If you only have an 8KW agreement with EDF you will trip it. Check on your EDF bill and it will tell you the maximum you can use before it trips. If it's not enough you can ask EDF to upgrade you to 12KW, but I think the standing charge will be higher.

Sponsored Links
What rating is your house? If you only have an 8KW agreement with EDF you will trip it. Check on your EDF bill and it will tell you the maximum you can use before it trips. If it's not enough you can ask EDF to upgrade you to 12KW, but I think the standing charge will be higher.

Hi

Had EDF round recently and they upped the supply to 12KW and i still have the problem.

When you say
it automatically trips out

What is the "it" that trips?
Is it the CPD on the cooker circuit, or something else?

What does the thing that trips have written on it?

When you say
it automatically trips out

What is the "it" that trips?
Is it the CPD on the cooker circuit, or something else?

What does the thing that trips have written on it?
Hi, when turning on the grill function, it then trips at the mains box or consumer unit, its switches off the 40amp breaker, the thing that also has a test button on it, sorry to appear stupid, i am no electrician, in case you had'nt guessed ;)

And is this 40A device dedicated to just the circuit for the grill & oven, or is it the one that switches off the whole house?

Does this device say "RCD" on it (or the French equivalent).

It is beginning to sound like the grill has an earth fault.

And is this 40A device dedicated to just the circuit for the grill & oven, or is it the one that switches off the whole house?

Does this device say "RCD" on it (or the French equivalent).

It is beginning to sound like the grill has an earth fault.
Hi its the interrupter differential. That thing is the main current breaker for a bunch of other stuff as well, lights etc

Definitely sounding like an earth fault on the grill. Does it trip immediately you switch the grill on, or after a few seconds as the grill starts to warm up?

Definitely sounding like an earth fault on the grill. Does it trip immediately you switch the grill on, or after a few seconds as the grill starts to warm up?
Paul

It trips after warming up, about 3/4 mins. If it is as you say an earth fault, is that an easy fix?
Thanks

It trips after warming up, about 3/4 mins.

It could be something else, but that's a classic symptom of a bad heating element, the earth fault to the metal shell which contains the element developing only as it gets hot. I'd try a replacement grill element.

Sponsored Links
Back