changing plastic light switch covers to metal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace my plastic wall mounted light switch covers with metal ones. The new ones require an earth but the old ones don\\\'t seem to have an earth at all. There is a screw at the base of the metal mounting box of the old fittings, but no earth running to it. What do I do?

Sponsored Links
looks like your lighting cuiruit is in need of a rewire.

Follow the switch wires back to their cable sheath. If you're very lucky, you'll find a bare earth wire hiding between them in the cable which some dipstick was too lazy to connect. If you're even luckier, there will be enough slack cable for you to pull some out and do the job properly.

If, as is more likely, you find no trace of an earth wire then metal faced switches are out. Even your plastic ones are dubious. The problem lies with their fixing screws which go into that metal back box. I think you have to use plastic screws or recessed metal ones with plastic end caps. I'm sure somebody else on this forum can answer that one better.

While you're at it check your light fittings. Any metal ones will also need an earth. Have a look. If you have metal fittings you don't want to change but no earths then take Plugwash's advice and rewire them.

felix said:
Follow the switch wires back to their cable sheath. If you're very lucky, you'll find a bare earth wire hiding between them in the cable which some dipstick was too lazy to connect. If you're even luckier, there will be enough slack cable for you to pull some out and do the job properly.

if you find any earths disconnected in parts of a cuircuit that seem original its a fairly safe bet that most of them are.

just because you find and earth wire hiding back at the cable sheath doesn't mean its connected.

Sponsored Links
Good point Plugwash. Whenever you find one bodge you should look for more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back