Wiring nightmare! Opinions please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, i'm currently in the process of buying a 4 bed detatched new build style home which has been destroyed by the previous owner as its a repossession. In spite, hey have removed every fixture, fitting, socket, lightswitch, light, spotlight. In fact in terms of wiring, the only things left are the wires sticking out the wall which thankfully i think are still connected to the consumer unit and RCD's.

What would be the best way to go about getting this back to regulatory standard? And will an electrician want to do a complete rewire?

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
IMO, its down to the opinion of the electrician you employ, they will most likly do a thorough check of the wiring state first.

it could well be a matter of just replacing the faceplates, providing the back boxes are still there.

Yeah all the back boxes are all still there, and i'm hoping the course of action is to just get new face plates, lights, switches etc.....

Let's hope they hadn't the time, inclination or knowledge to do any real damage. I'm sure that people here could think of all sorts of ways to sabotage an installation which would be non-trivial to find and expensive to fix.

I knew someone once who bought a repo. Got in, no water, turned on the stopcock. After they had sorted out the fact that not one tap had a washer in it they found that the tank in the loft had no float, and had had the overflow pipe blocked.

Sponsored Links
A lot of thought and effort went into that one. The funny part with this property is the place looks a ruin which has meant the agent taking £10000 of the asking value. Luckily for me its all cosmetic and easily fixed and i get a nice discount. Its caused him more grief than it will me.

If i get it i'll post pictures, its just funny. Definitely gonna check everything after hearing that story though..... Thanks ban-all-sheds. Good one?!

A lot of thought and effort went into that one.
They missed a couple of tricks.

1) The tap washer thing would have taken time, and immediately alerted the new owners to dodgy goings on.

2) They just arranged it so the tank overflowed - it happened quickly and only damaged the bathroom ceiling. Imagine this - a long piece of that garden irrigation hose connected to the overflow and snaking back and forth across the loft. By the time that's discovered all of the loft insulation is shot, and possibly all of the upstairs ceilings.

Well to be honest they've gone to all this trouble so it wouldn't suprise me at all if there was some malitious damage i've not found. Keep the scare stories and tips coming because at the moment i suspect its cosmetic, but if i miss something there may be damage done as a result of something i've missed.

Really appreciate the repsonses!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back