"live" neutral wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a problem hard wiring a new circular fluoro light in place of a tube fluoro.
When I removed the existing cabling from the back of the old fluoro housing, I didn't mark what went where.
We now have no hardwired lights working and at the new light the neutral is "live" continuously. When I turn that light switch "on" both active and neutral are "live".
At the junction box (for that light) in the ceiling cavity, there is the cable coming from the previous light, a cable that dead ends 6' away in another junction box, a cable that presumably goes to the next light, and a cable which goes to the light switch.
What I have done is
1. connect all the earths together and extend down to earth connection on light fitting
2. connect all the actives and extend down to one side of light switch
3. connect other side of light switch to active connection on light fitting
4. connect remaining neutrals and extend to neutral connection on light fitting
I think I have the same as the bottom image at: http://www.diydata.com/planning/electric_lights/electric_lights.htm#wiring

Can anyone suggest where I have gone wrong?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
hello ripvan, what you have written is correct, however you say We now have no hardwired lights working and at the new light the neutral is "live" continuously. When I turn that light switch "on" both active and neutral are "live".

Although the drawing you refer to is correct you may find this one easier to see where you have gone wrong.

Hmm, I replied to you last night breezer, but it hasn't shown up :(
What I asked was is it possible for an live neutral to be caused by an open circuit within the loop?
I rerouted (without disconnect/reconnect) some cabling and maybe a wire has broken at a connector somewhere?
Thanks for your time...appreciate it.

yes because you can get a backfeed through a lamp. Are you using a meter and does this say your neutral is live?.

If you are using a meter then if you find which is the cable going to the switch, the OTHER cables can be conected red to red black to black etc.

Also if you have moved any other lights i should check there for a broken wire.

(there does seem to be a problem with this particular post, i posted, it said "problem sending email" but my reply was there

Sponsored Links
fixed it!!
I am using a test lamp that my dad (was an electrician, lol) made in 1954.
Still works well :)

When I moved the cabling around I broke a wire at the next junction along.
Repaired it....bingo!

Many thanks for your help breezer.
Nice to have found this forum. You can bet I'll be back :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back