Vulcan Continental boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 29 year old Vulcan Continental boiler on a standard open vented system, and a few years ago a plumber came to service it because the pilot light kept going out. He couldn't get a new part so left it with a 3" pilot light flame and it's been working OK ever since. Last weekend, because of the cost of gas, I decided to work out how much gas it was using and monitored the meter. I was surprised to work out that it was using £127 a year! I've tried turning down the flame to 1.5" (which would save me £60 a year) but it goes out when the boiler cools down. It is now back to 3" and working OK.
Any ideas as to what is wrong? As it appears to be an old reliable boiler is it best to just leave it and pay up or exchange it for a new "A" rated one on the scrappage scheme. I would want a floor mounted one. A few manufacturers make them. What's the best one?

Sponsored Links
I think it's time to retire the old girl, it's old inefficient, difficult to get parts for & it's costing you a fortune just for the pilot light :eek:
The only floor standing heat only boiler I've come across is the Ideal Mexico HE, which in my experience although I've only fitted 2 is it's not too bad considering it's made by Ideal, although many on here will disagree.
One thing you will have to consider if your system is on gravity HW & pumped CH then it will probably have to be upgraded to a fully pumped system. Oh, & make sure you installer has arms like Popeye them old Vulcans weigh a ton!

Whilst you think you want a floor mounted boiler there are no advantages.

I am sure its possible to fit a wall mounted one and that will be the cheapest option.

There are about three floor mounted boilers but both far more expensive than the normal wall mounted ones.

You may be shocked by the cost of the pilot light but for half the year its providing some useful heat. But why are you not shocked by the 50% of your gas bill which is wasted by having such an old inefficient boiler?

Tony

Thanks keego and Agile for your comments. The HW is gravity fed. Would I have to change to pumped HW if I went for a wall mounted boiler? Would I really save 50% on gas by changing? If so it makes more economic sense to upgrade.

Sponsored Links
Any boiler will need pumped HW and thats more efficient and gives much faster reheat.

The saving will depend on your gas bill and system but I would expect it will be about 50%.

A friend for whom I fitted a new boiler seems to think he is saving about 60%.

Tony

I made a mistake about our HW 'cos there is a three way manually operated valve to switch betwenn HW or CH or both so it is pumped.
Thanks for your input. I think I'll get some quotes. I know the initial outlay will be high but we don't intend moving so should get our money back eventually, although if what I've heard about new boilers only lasting 10 years is right, we might only break even.

I have a 29 year old Vulcan Continental boiler on a standard open vented system, and a few years ago a plumber came to service it because the pilot light kept going out. He couldn't get a new part so left it with a 3" pilot light flame and it's been working OK ever since. Last weekend, because of the cost of gas, I decided to work out how much gas it was using and monitored the meter. I was surprised to work out that it was using £127 a year! I've tried turning down the flame to 1.5" (which would save me £60 a year) but it goes out when the boiler cools down. It is now back to 3" and working OK.
Any ideas as to what is wrong? As it appears to be an old reliable boiler is it best to just leave it and pay up or exchange it for a new "A" rated one on the scrappage scheme. I would want a floor mounted one. A few manufacturers make them. What's the best one?

This boiler will definately qualify for the new scrappage scheme. Take advantage of it and get it replaced.

Regards.

As well as the WorcesterBosch floor stander, Potterton also produce one, ProMax 30HE

(30 kw is Max Output, but comes from factory rated at 18Kw)

It is another option, and has a simpler wiring solution.

DH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back