Bath extractor fan won't turn off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a Silavent 354511 model extractor fan fitted in a flat (probably about 15 years old, when
flats were orginally built). It's on a pull-cord, and comes on okay, but won't turn off
at all when the light is turned off. So, I opened it up, and set the timing mechanism to
the minimun of 1 min, and lo and behold it turned off after about a minute. But when I put the
cover and casing back on, and screwed it back to the ceiling, it stopped turning itself off
at all. I tried this a few times, and each time, I managed to get it to turn off after a minute
when it's out of the housing, and hanging loose on the cieling, but everytime I put it all
back together, it carrys on running and running.

I find this most peculiar. At one time it did run at all, and I messed about with it, and then
it came on. I can't replace is easily, as the housing where the fan goes is much larger than the
fans which we buy these days from DIY store. The silvent.co.uk web-site no longer lists this model.

Any thoughts? Ideas?

Sponsored Links
I think 15 years is pretty good going for an extractor fan!!

Post a picture of it and someone might know of a similar sized model..

Sponsored Links
I think 15 years is pretty good going for an extractor fan!!

I've seen Silavent Mayfair Classic's last more than 20 years (well not seen them start to finish at my tender age but good reason to believe they are 20yrs+), well worth it at £100 odd a pop.

To the OP, strange that it works while hanging out, sounds like it could be some kind of short between the live and switched live, worth checking for damage to all visible wiring (with power OFF)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back