New house, new alarm, no code, no manual and now going off!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

I hope someone can help with this. I've just bought a property and the previous owners gave me all the manuals and docs they had but nothing for the alarm. They claim they think it's never been used nor do they know the default code.

OK - no problem. Until that is I thought I would be clever and try and work out the model number.

The keypad has no markings on it at all nor does the main control box. However as soon as I undid the screw on the control box and opened it, the keypad started marking a loud high pitched noise and showing C6 on the screen.

I managed to stop it by taking the front off the keypad and disconnecting each wire until the noise stopped. (I made a noted of which wires went in where)

All good I thought until about half hour later when the unit on the outside then started making a low pitched noise. Thankfully this isn't too noticable but I'm pretty sure the neighbours will start saying something soon. There is also now a tiny red flash on the outside unit.

I don't want to start playing with the main control box without knowing what I'm doing.

All that is in the inside is EUROSEC ES-1220 on what looks like a battery.

And on the inside of the case it says Gardtec and a unit number of GT01164.

Any ideas? Please! Google doesn't come up with anything obvious.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
What do you actually want to do?
Find the codes so you can use the system again?

In its current state you won't have much joy even with the codes. The action you took should have activated the alarm fully (ie activating a tamper circuit) The fact the outside unit is only making a low noise indicates that its back up battery is failing and very weak. It will probably stop soon.
I am also puzzled because there should have been a 12v feed from the endstation unless you sensibly removed the fuse from the spur before taking opening the keypad.
In any case it sounds like the system is due a full overhaul or replacement.

I'd just open the outside bellbox and disconnect all incoming cables and the battery.

I'd suggest getting some earmuffs and doing this in the middle of the day just in case you get some serious noise (I suspect it's already been set off and just isn't capable of making much noise anymore)

Thanks guys

Well ideally I'd like to be able to reset the system so I can use it properly - seems a waste to either not use it or replace the whole thing!

I didn't think about any tamper system though after thinking about it last night that's probably pretty obvious and yes I'm surprised too that the actual alarm didn't go off. What do you mean by endstation? The bit that has ES -1220 in the main control box had 12V written on it and did look like a battery - is that the battery you refer to?

I can't actually get to the outside box as I don't have a set of ladders long enough! Thankfully with day noise it's even harder to hear the low pitch.

Does anyone recognise the numbers I gave?

Sponsored Links
Hi , the main control box you refer to is the endstation.
The battery inside there is the system backup battery to keep the alarm active in the event of mains failure.
The battery for the outside sounder will be actually inside the bell box itself and this is so the siren can still activate if all the wires leading to it are cut.
If you have removed the fuse in the spur and disconnected the 12v battery in the control box then the system will silence itself once the residual batteries fail. This shouldn't be too long as by the sound (or low sound) of the external siren its battery is pretty much foobarred allready.

Can't help you with codes but it looks as though you will need a long ladder to replace the sounders battery if indeed there is a proper charge voltage going to it.

You probably need an engineer in to be honest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back