My storage heaters dont come on after I changed the switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I broke the switch on my storage heater the other day (fused switch). So I went to B&Q and got another one. Wired it up but I think I got one of the supply wires mixed with one of the load wires.

So anyway I got up in the morning and the trip switch had flipped for that heater. So I took out the switch and wired it up correctly. After turning off all the mains power!

But now both of the heaters which are on the economy 7 circuit dont turn on at night! The fused in the switch isn't blown.

Help me :( Ive only been living there a week!!

P.S The emersion still works on the Eco 7

Sponsored Links
Are you sure that there isn't another switch on the fuseboard for the offpeak?
There may be a safety switch. Make sure that all the breakers on all the fuseboards are pushed all the way up.
If you are still stuck post a picture of your fuseboards on here.

PS How do you know the immersion is OK on the E7? You may have a second element that is powered from the 24-hour supply. That will make it look like the E7 elecemt is working.

I'm sure that the emersion is working because there are 3 switches for it. One is main power, one is boost and one is overnight hot water. The boost one is off so it must be heating up overnight. I'll post a pic later on but all the switches are on on.

Sponsored Links
Post a pic of the immersion timer/boost unit as well.
Some are fed from the 24-hour supply with a time switch that is synchronised to the E7 times.

Is there anything else to look out for? The breakers all seem fine, FCU is fine. all I havn't checked it the electric meter which is in a cupboard on the bottom floor (im on a 3rd floor flat). Could there be more fuses down there and the Eco 7 timer? I dont wanna tell my landlord I did this just yet lol

I would imagine there probably is more fuses etc downstairs, you need to go and have a look.

But shouldnt you have got your landlord to do this?!

Well I already broke the window accidentally I didn't wanna tell him I broke the heating as well. I'll have a look at the meter later but failing that I'll have to tell them! =[

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back