Boiler start needs the burner lockout pressing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Boiler is worcester greenstar utility 18-25kw oil condensing boiler.Its less than 2 years old.
When I turn it on it trys to start for 30 seconds or so and then the burner lockout flashes. I press this once and there are no more problems.

I know it could be all sorts of things but thought maybe that a sensor needed cleaning (photo cell). There has been a lot of building work and concrete dust around in the boiler room.

I can't see anything obvious that could be checked and cleaned?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Robbie
Your burner should light up after around 10 sec - clearly its not doing this, but it is having a gallant attempt, presumably.
I'm wondering if your construction dust has caused a restriction in the boiler baffles, and the initial purge of the burner just isn't quite enough.....its curious that its ok for the rest of the day though.
Check the burner air intake for a kick off, and see how much dust is around. After that its the burner out for a clean, complete with electrode checks and fuel pressure - the usual!
John :)

Hi John,

Will check the air intake like you said. It seems to be only a problem on startup, the boiler was run dry of oil bit I assume once its fired up and been on for hours for a few days that won't be a problem?
Taking the burner out for a clean an easy job?

I would have thought that the system would be well purged of air by now, but bleeding the thing does no harm anyway...look at the plugs on the oil pump, find the one marked 'P' and crack it open when the burner is running.
Removing the burner is usually just 1 or 2 screws, where the burner pushes into the boiler. Normally you don't need to undo them fully.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Two year old oil condensing boiler not yet been serviced? That's probably your answer. These are so tightly baffled both in the primary andcondensing heat exchangers, if it isnt done soon, then you will have to destroy the baffles to get them out.
It's a shame that you cannot park it on the drive and wash and polish it every Sunday so rthe neighbours can see. If you could, then most boilers would be better looked after.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back