LCD monitor replacement board suppliers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some time ago I posted here about a problem with an NEC monitor displaying horizontal lines across the screen. After establishing that it was the monitor rather than other components I decided to have a peek inside and check for loose connections. There did see to be a small impovement and I learned to live with the screen display.

But things have got steadily worse resulting in me seeking the advice of a qualified technician. Seems the problem is down to the main board processor overheating - lines magically disappear when coolant sprayed on the board. So a replacement board should solve the problem!

Now my quandry is that a replacement direct from NEC is around £150 which represents about 1/3 the cost of a new monitor. Not sure if it is a good idea to replace the board or look around for a similar spec. new monitor.
EDIT: While the cooling of the processor cured the problem I still do not know for sure if the processor is the problem and damaged or if the heat is caused by excessive voltage.

An alternative may be to try and find someone who breaks computer bits for spares - but my searches so far reveal nothing.

Anyone have any suggestion - apart from get on with it you tight fisted git :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Do you have any pictures of the lines, from my experience lines on the screen is usually down to the panel itself being faulty although it really depends what the lines look like, if the technician was able to locate the exact component that was faulty can he not source a replacement component and replace the faulty one?

What monitor is it, it must be a fairly good monitor to consider repairing it considering the price you can pick up a new one for.

Unfortunately deleted the pictures I took but basically horizontal lines would appear across the screen usually asociated with bright saturated colours. The lines approx 2 pixels in depth. The screen otherwise behaves in a normal way it is only when intense colours appear that lines can be seen. Conclusion therefore is that the panel is perfectly ok and there is a component failure.

What the technician found was that the procesor on the main board running hot - on spraying the processor with coolant the lines immediately disappeared. Now the suspicion was that the processor at fault. However I am aware that excess voltage could be the cause of the overheat and therefore the processor may still be ok. He could only suggest that I try and locate a new main board either from manufacturer or a breaker.

The monitor is an NEC Multisync 2090UXI which currently has a retail price of around £500. It may or may not be worthwhile attempting repair - I just have to decide how much money to throw at it - or bite the bullet and stump up a small fortune for a monitor that will function well in a colour managed workflow

How old is the monitor? Have you contacted NEC, legally they should have to repair or replace it for free although if you have opened it they can refuse to do this.

Sponsored Links
I had a colleague that got a monitor that did similar things when it got warm.

He fitted a 12v fan inside it to keep it cool, worked for him. :D

Unfortunately the monitor is out of warranty being over 3 years old. Also to qualify for the in warranty service you need to have the original receipt stamped by the dealer - these have vanished!

Funnily enough I had considered a cooling solution - after all they are fitted to cpu's both main and graphics - could even go the whole hog and fit a water cooler or refrigeration unit :LOL:

Unfortunately the monitor is out of warranty being over 3 years old. Also to qualify for the in warranty service you need to have the original receipt stamped by the dealer - these have vanished!

Funnily enough I had considered a cooling solution - after all they are fitted to cpu's both main and graphics - could even go the whole hog and fit a water cooler or refrigeration unit :LOL:

Do you have a picture of the PCB showing which chip is getting warm? Depending on how big it is a small heatsink could be attached using some thermal adhesive and possibly fitting a fan as someone else has said.

This is a picture (near as dammit) of the mainboard. The processor (?) is under the white square. Pic from USA website after searching for part number - only $25 dollars - but they do not ship to UK :cry:
Jimmys.jpg

This is the pic of my actual board
NecPCBoard.jpg

I did think at first that the capacitor had leaked - appears that the blob that looks like blue tac is to strengthen the capacitor! As yet I do not know what lies under the white square as it is glued to the chip. Not much space above to fit anything as the casing fits over this.

Still not completely happy about making mods though. As I said not 100% sure that the processor faulty or if power supply to processor faulty.

That white pad looks likes a thermal pad which touches the metal casing to allow it to cool properly, does this like it is doing this correctly?

Sponsored Links
Back