Adding extra insulation to boarded loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We have a fairly large loft that is already boarded with a small amount of insulation under the existing boards. Approximately 1/3 of the loft is used for storage and we also need access to the middle of the loft to access the header tank.

I am trying to determine what options I have for increasing the amount of insulation without having to remove the existing boards.

Is it worth adding standard loft insulation on top of the existing boards in the 2/3 of the loft that is not used for storage ? Will this work ?

Alternatively, is it worth using something like Knauf Space Boards ? Is it possible to walk on top of them or is it necessary to fit additional loft boards on top ?

Are there any other options ?

Thanks

Matt

Sponsored Links
Before adding any insulation you should add a vapour barrier; poly sheet to stop water vapour penetrating into the loft.

After that any insulation you add will diminish your heating bills.

Be warned however that you risk putting your foot through the ceiling if you don't fit some kind of substantial (18 mm) board across the joists. Insulation board is not designed to be an unsupported floor-board.

Thanks, the loft is already boarded so I was looking to put extra insulation on top of the existing boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back