Complete Novice, in need of serious levelling advice please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I want to tile my kitchen floor but when I pulled up the existing crappy printed on laminate stuff I was dismayed to find nasty bulging ply board stuff. I know, from reading other threads, that plyboard is a simple levelling material but this stuff has a massive hump in the middle of the floor, like lumpy carpet! I don't think I can take it up without having to pull out all my kitchen units etc. I'm in a wimpey house approx 13 years old, seems like they got in Cowboy Builders 'R' Us to build the place :rolleyes: . The guy I booked to do my tiling has let me down (just hasn't shown up and won't take my calls :evil: ) so now I have to figure out how to make the plyboard stable and then prime it and tile it myself. :confused:

Can I just screw the plyboard into the floor at the point of the big lump in an effort to flatten it, then use self-levelling compound, then tile?

I'd really appreciate some sound advice please guys, we tried to tile over this stuff once already and now all of the tiles are moving in that area! :oops:

Many thanks, and sorry about the essay!!!

Sponsored Links
It sounds like it would be a waste of time trying to repair this. You realy need to get back to original sub-floor and prep it correctly, you can cut round your kitchen legs if need be as this won't be seen nd start again..

Hi guys,

I want to tile my kitchen floor but when I pulled up the existing crappy printed on laminate stuff I was dismayed to find nasty bulging ply board stuff. I know, from reading other threads, that plyboard is a simple levelling material but this stuff has a massive hump in the middle of the floor, like lumpy carpet! I don't think I can take it up without having to pull out all my kitchen units etc. I'm in a wimpey house approx 13 years old, seems like they got in Cowboy Builders 'R' Us to build the place :rolleyes: . The guy I booked to do my tiling has let me down (just hasn't shown up and won't take my calls :evil: ) so now I have to figure out how to make the plyboard stable and then prime it and tile it myself. :confused:

Can I just screw the plyboard into the floor at the point of the big lump in an effort to flatten it, then use self-levelling compound, then tile?

I'd really appreciate some sound advice please guys, we tried to tile over this stuff once already and now all of the tiles are moving in that area! :oops:

Many thanks, and sorry about the essay!!!

can you post a pic please.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back