Fuse Rating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
What is the biggest size of fuse (rating) you can install into an FCU. For example i was told the physical dimensions you can't get any bigger than a 13amp fuse similar to the type that fits into plug top. Is this true?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it needs a fuse exceeding 13 amp, it should not have a 13 amp plug fitted!

Yes 13 amp is the maximum. They don't make fuses of the same physical dimensions any greater than 13 amp.

You're not after 16 amp cartridge fuses for that oven and microwave of yours are you...?

Sponsored Links
They also do not make a similar FCU which accepts fuses larger than 13 amp.

All you can get are enclosures/mini consumers units and MCBs/fuses that fit them.

Hi
I thought if there was such a thing as a 16amp cartridge fuse it would save me installing a 16A mcb mounted in a box within the cooker housing. I was not intending to put it into a plug top. I was thinking of fusing the fused spur at 16Amp

Yes, many times I have wished for such a product to exist. I suppose if there was such a thing it would be open to all sorts of misuse.

As before. You probably need a separate radial circuit from the consumer's unit protected by a 16amp cpd.

All of which is notifiable work

As I have observed before, you can get panel mount MCBs, so it should not be beyond the wit of manufacturers of grid systems to produce MCB modules.

Maybe every time the 16A oven issue arises we should encourage the poster to write to MK/GET/etc asking for such a thing?

Hi
Just thought i would let all the members who have given me good advice on this topic what the final install will be

I now have a 32Amp mcb from the consumer board protected by an RCBO also connected at the consumer board going to the kitchen which is connected into a 45 Amp double pole switch with 2 4mm cables feeding into a small high IP rated box. I have fixed into the box using Din-Rail 2 16 Amp MCB's each supplying the oven and combi/microwave both rated at 16Amps. I have managed to hide the box high up inside the tall housing unit. If you think this still breaks any regs please feel free to reply before the big switch on

Thanks

I now have a 32Amp mcb from the consumer board protected by an RCBO
Are you sure you mean that?

also connected at the consumer board going to the kitchen which is connected into a 45 Amp double pole switch with 2 4mm cables feeding into a small high IP rated box. I have fixed into the box using Din-Rail 2 16 Amp MCB's each supplying the oven and combi/microwave both rated at 16Amps. I have managed to hide the box high up inside the tall housing unit. If you think this still breaks any regs please feel free to reply before the big switch on
1) I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "I have managed to hide the box high up inside the tall housing unit", but on the face of it that sounds like it contravenes 132.12 and 513.1.
2) Is the capacity of your 4mm cable at least 32A given its installation method?
3) What testing have you done?

Hi Again

Forget the RCBO quote. This safety device is already installed at the consumer unit.

What i mean is that my supply to the kitchen is 32A , protected by a 32A MCB. Each appliance (oven/microwave) is then wired to 2 seperate 16A MCB's housed in the kitchen tall unit using 4mm cable. The 45A double pole switch connects the supply to these MCB's . Both applianceare are rated at 3.7Kw and 3.8Kw. Therefore each appliance has 16A mcb protection and an overall protection of 32A which will be required to handle both appliance switched on at the same time. Could you please be more specific with the reg codes you quoted that this installation might be breaking

Thanks

What i mean is that my supply to the kitchen is 32A , protected by a 32A MCB.
Using what size of cable?

Each appliance (oven/microwave) is then wired to 2 seperate 16A MCB's housed in the kitchen tall unit using 4mm cable.
Why so oversized?

Doe it fit into the appliance terminals OK?

What size conductors do the manufacturers say you should use?

Could you please be more specific with the reg codes you quoted that this installation might be breaking
To do with accessibility - maybe someone with a soft copy can paste the text in here.

It's a bit alarming to think that you are doing design and installation work without having a copy of the Wiring Regulations. Presumably the work will go uncertified?.

What testing have you done?

Good work with the individual 16A breakers for each appliance, however it sounds as if you have made things more difficult than neccessary and also could possibly overload the 4mm cable.
Depending on installation method 4mm may not be suitable for use with a 32a breaker upstream.

(You did say you had 6mm cable from CU to the DP switch, yes?)
You'd have been better running a single 6mm cable out from the DP switch and in to both 16a breakers, then wire each appliance to the breakers in 2.5mm

Thanks for the reply

Yes! my supply cable is 6mm from the CU wired directly into a 45 A double pole switch. Originally i used x2 4mm cable to feed each appliance due to poor information from AEG. However i can still use these cables as a draw wire and pull through another 6mm cable from the cooker switch and wire this up to the x2 16A MCB's. Then run 2.5mm 3 core down to each appliance. Thanks again. I was just trying to make use of the 4 mm cables that had been already been installed. I think your way makes more sense and i can ignore the diversity calculation, but i still expect to be told i am breaking the reg's one way or another

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back