DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

fitting a shower pump to pump upwards?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
fabgav

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:24 pm Reply with quote

hi all, i need to install a shower pump because purs pressure is pants.

here's my question/s

I've HWC in spare room i will fit a surrey flange to it.
the shower is in a corner and i cant get pipes up from the bottom so what i plan on doing is put a new take from the cold water storage tank which is directly above the HWC down from the tank to the pump which will be on the floor next to the HWC the hot feed from surrey into pump and then the two outlets of pump back up and into loft and along to the shower and down the back.
The height from pump to loft would be about 8ft then accross to shower would be about 12/15ft (as the crow flys) and then down to the mixer unit would be another 4 foot ish

So will a shower pump be okay to do this or do i really need to pump it along the floor and then uptp the shower mixer??

also can anyone recomend a good cheap supplier for plump parts and pumps (not screwfix, lol)
cheers all
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
electronicsuk

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:28 pm Reply with quote

If you install a negative head pump then yes, it's possible.
 Alert Moderators
muggles

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quote

Don't buy a cheap pump, you'll end up buying another one pretty quickly. Go for Salamander or Stuart Turner
 Alert Moderators
gigz

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:37 pm Reply with quote

I've just fitted a salamander rhp75 for a customer and it feeds 2 showers (even at the same time) and one of them is up and over the landing to the other bathroom, if you phone their helpline they will advise you and you also get an extended warranty
 Alert Moderators
fabgav

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:33 pm Reply with quote

muggles wrote:
Don't buy a cheap pump, you'll end up buying another one pretty quickly. Go for Salamander or Stuart Turner

I didnt mean cheap pump I just meant a cheap retailer lol

Why would i need a negative head pump when the shower head itself is in the posative position?

I read in another post a guy was fitting a pos head pump to a neg head shower and to kick start it he would simple drop the shower head down to waist height and into a pos head position and then that would engage the pump and it would be all find and dandy?
 Alert Moderators
seco services

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:39 pm Reply with quote

fabgav wrote:

Why would i need a negative head pump when the shower head itself is in the posative position?

a positive head pump will be fine.
i'd probably go for a salamander esp pump.

Quote:

I read in another post a guy was fitting a pos head pump to a neg head shower and to kick start it he would simple drop the shower head down to waist height and into a pos head position and then that would engage the pump and it would be all find and dandy?

thats a bodge installation.
 Alert Moderators
fabgav

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:56 am Reply with quote

hi all, would like some more advice on this please, i phoned the pumpwise help;line and after explaining about the up and over thing they said that if the pipes that will go up (and then over) lay withing 600mm of the bottom of the tank then i would need a neg head pump.
Whats anyones thoughts on this?
Are neg head pumps more expensive to buy?
 Alert Moderators
Richard C

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote

It makes absolutely no difference if the shower head is in what you may consider to be positive head location; if you fit up & over loops (which also need venting) & they run too close to the bottom of the cws tank you will be in a potentially negative head situation, particularly with long horizontal pipe runs which may have restrictive bends or isolator valves; dropping the shower head down will have no effect in this case. Pump specs vary; for instance Salamander say no closer than 600mm, Stuart Turner say 200mm. the only real test is to measure the gravity flow at the shower head which should be a minimum of 1 litre/min for a positive head pump, any less & you would be wise to go negative head pump or you could find the pump flow switches won’t trigger. NH pumps are more expensive initially but not as expensive as buying the wrong pump. icon_wink.gif
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: