fitting a shower pump to pump upwards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, i need to install a shower pump because purs pressure is pants.

here's my question/s

I've HWC in spare room i will fit a surrey flange to it.
the shower is in a corner and i cant get pipes up from the bottom so what i plan on doing is put a new take from the cold water storage tank which is directly above the HWC down from the tank to the pump which will be on the floor next to the HWC the hot feed from surrey into pump and then the two outlets of pump back up and into loft and along to the shower and down the back.
The height from pump to loft would be about 8ft then accross to shower would be about 12/15ft (as the crow flys) and then down to the mixer unit would be another 4 foot ish

So will a shower pump be okay to do this or do i really need to pump it along the floor and then uptp the shower mixer??

also can anyone recomend a good cheap supplier for plump parts and pumps (not screwfix, lol)
cheers all

Sponsored Links
Don't buy a cheap pump, you'll end up buying another one pretty quickly. Go for Salamander or Stuart Turner

I've just fitted a salamander rhp75 for a customer and it feeds 2 showers (even at the same time) and one of them is up and over the landing to the other bathroom, if you phone their helpline they will advise you and you also get an extended warranty

Sponsored Links
Don't buy a cheap pump, you'll end up buying another one pretty quickly. Go for Salamander or Stuart Turner

I didnt mean cheap pump I just meant a cheap retailer lol

Why would i need a negative head pump when the shower head itself is in the posative position?

I read in another post a guy was fitting a pos head pump to a neg head shower and to kick start it he would simple drop the shower head down to waist height and into a pos head position and then that would engage the pump and it would be all find and dandy?

Why would i need a negative head pump when the shower head itself is in the posative position?

a positive head pump will be fine.
i'd probably go for a salamander esp pump.

I read in another post a guy was fitting a pos head pump to a neg head shower and to kick start it he would simple drop the shower head down to waist height and into a pos head position and then that would engage the pump and it would be all find and dandy?

thats a bodge installation.

hi all, would like some more advice on this please, i phoned the pumpwise help;line and after explaining about the up and over thing they said that if the pipes that will go up (and then over) lay withing 600mm of the bottom of the tank then i would need a neg head pump.
Whats anyones thoughts on this?
Are neg head pumps more expensive to buy?

It makes absolutely no difference if the shower head is in what you may consider to be positive head location; if you fit up & over loops (which also need venting) & they run too close to the bottom of the cws tank you will be in a potentially negative head situation, particularly with long horizontal pipe runs which may have restrictive bends or isolator valves; dropping the shower head down will have no effect in this case. Pump specs vary; for instance Salamander say no closer than 600mm, Stuart Turner say 200mm. the only real test is to measure the gravity flow at the shower head which should be a minimum of 1 litre/min for a positive head pump, any less & you would be wise to go negative head pump or you could find the pump flow switches won’t trigger. NH pumps are more expensive initially but not as expensive as buying the wrong pump. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back