Boiler noise from newly fitted GLOW WORM CX24

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mom had new central heating installed under the government scheme and it was a GLOW WORM CX24 combi boiler. The installers attitude is " you got it for free, what more do you expect" but I suspect the boiler is too small for this large 3 bedroomed house, however there are 2 problems.
1) We can't set the boiler so we can put our hands under the tap without getting burnt (minimum temp setting on boiler shows 62 degrees)
2) When the boiler fires up in the morning it creates a very loud high pitched whine or whistle that annoys us and the neighbours.
The 1st gas bill was £150.00 for 1 month leaving room stat on 19 degrees. What's wrong with this system?
Thanks
brian
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
I am sure the boiler can be set for a lower DHW temperature and the installers should have done that as its dangerous to supply the water at over 55° ( to 60° ).

Depending on the whine that might be normal or it might be a fault.

How have you get a gas bill for just one month? Can you scan and post it here as I dont believe that your consumption is really that much. Did you check the start/end meter readings?

Do a meter reading at 24 hour intervals and tell us the answer.

Tony

What does DHW mean?? The installer tells me the boilers come preset and they can't adjust anything, is that correct? The noisey boiler is heard 2 doors away when it first fires up in the morning, I don't think that can be normal? 375 unit of gas used in one month compares to around 75 normally in the house we just moved from. Thanks for your time it is appreciated, I don't know much about boilers but I intend to learn a bit more before I go back to the installers.

Brian

I am sure the boiler can be set for a lower DHW temperature and the installers should have done that as its dangerous to supply the water at over 55° ( to 60° ).

Depending on the whine that might be normal or it might be a fault.

How have you get a gas bill for just one month? Can you scan and post it here as I dont believe that your consumption is really that much. Did you check the start/end meter readings?

Do a meter reading at 24 hour intervals and tell us the answer.

Tony

As I expected the gas bill is for an ESTIMATED finish reading!

They always over estimate the consumption as that boosts their cash flow.

You need to read the meter now and every 24 hours for us to calculate the REAL consumption.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Yes Tony it was estimated but when I checked, they had underestimated it and when I rang them to give an actual reading it was another 36.82 but what needs to be considered is that after getting the bill, we daren't put the heating back on, hence the low extra amount for the extra week.
I'm certainly keeping an eye on things now.

Brian

You need to read the meter now and every 24 hours for us to calculate the REAL consumption.

Tony

It was an extra £6.32 not 36.82.

Brian

Tony

Did you check the START reading?

Are you reading every 24 hours now?

What is the size and the insulation standard of the property?

Tony

Thanks for reply, The house is a 3 double bedroom, 1 bathroom/wc, Living room, dining room and kitchen. Fully insulated. I am now recording on a daily basis but daren't keep the heating on at 19 degrees again, it comes on at 7:30am until 9:0am then again at 4:30pm until 9:30pm.

Brian

Did you check the START reading?

Are you reading every 24 hours now?

What is the size and the insulation standard of the property?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back