1 or 2 coats of multi-finish?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, as an amateur self teaching plasterer i am confused with the 1 or two finishing coat debate?? i always do 2 coats myself as the dvds ive bought all show two coats, plus it enables me to get a better finish. after reading many topics on this forum i'm learning at lot of pros do 1 coat sometimes. is the 1 coat thing mainly plasterboard, small walls, window reveals etc????? and is it just a matter of personal preference and ability. very keen to pick up any more useful tips that i can, and would appreciate good constructive advice, thanks :D

Sponsored Links
I don't think many pro's would do just one coat of multi finish. It's a far better finish using 2 coats anyway,, and to be really honest, when i first started plastering, we put on 3 coats of setting/finishing,, 1st coat, setting trowel applied, 2nd coat, yellow pine setting float applied, 3rd coat, setting trowel applied. This was normally onto a sand/cement/lime float coat. A lot of work involved plastering then.
Anyway, back to the topic,, i'd never use just one coat of m/finish, no matter where it was,, it's always 2 coats for me.

Ahhh,,, i'm just thinking,,,, are you getting mixed up with the "1 mix"/"2mix" debate,, rather than 1 coat/2 coat finishing plaster application?

I don't think many pro's would do just one coat of multi finish. It's a far better finish using 2 coats anyway,, and to be really honest, when i first started plastering, we put on 3 coats of setting/finishing,, 1st coat, setting trowel applied, 2nd coat, yellow pine setting float applied, 3rd coat, setting trowel applied. This was normally onto a sand/cement/lime float coat. A lot of work involved plastering then.
Anyway, back to the topic,, i'd never use just one coat of m/finish, no matter where it was,, it's always 2 coats for me.

Ahhh,,, i'm just thinking,,,, are you getting mixed up with the "1 mix"/"2mix" debate,, rather than 1 coat/2 coat finishing plaster application?
reading back and now you mention it, i think i could be :confused: thats why im on these forums, to learn from you guys :D what is the 1 mix/2 mix debate??? (its hard trying to self teach) but fun :D :D

Sponsored Links
I don't think many pro's would do just one coat of multi finish. It's a far better finish using 2 coats anyway

Agree with you completely roughcaster, though i have on occasion been satisfied with 1 coat!

especially at 3 o clock on a Friday afternoon :oops:

Oh, i should add this method i would only use on a fresh base coat.

Today i and my faithful sidekick Bonded and 2 coated a 7mx4m artexed ceiling.

Then sheeted a 7mx2.2m wall taped and 2 coat skimmed.

in cases like this 2 coat skim finishes are diffo the order of the day.

that was 8.30 till 6pm Never again...... :confused: There must be an easier way to scrape a living....oh me back. :confused:

Today i and my faithful sidekick Bonded and 2 coated a 7mx4m artexed ceiling.

Then sheeted a 7mx2.2m wall taped and 2 coat skimmed.

in cases like this 2 coat skim finishes are diffo the order of the day.

that was 8.30 till 6pm Never again...... :confused:
There must be an easier way to scrape a living.. :confused:

Ahh,, but it keeps ya fit mucca. :LOL:

what is the 1 mix/2 mix debate??? (its hard trying to self teach) but fun :D :D

to 2nd coat with the same mix of plaster used for 1st coat, as opposed to a fresh mix for 2nd coat. :eek: :D
ive been doing 2 coats with 2 mixes of multi :confused: so just to clarify,
use 2 coats with the 1 mix of multi???

2 coats from 1 mix???
It all depends on your ability, and the size of the area to be covered! If you covered/spread an area with one coat of multi, and you felt confident enough you could spread the area again with the remainder of the mix,, plus, you were confident you could finish it to the final trowel up, then go for it,,,, but if you think you wouldn't make it in one hit, then make a smaller, second mix for the second coat. Try a bigger area each time, to improve your speed, and help with your confidence,,, it takes time to learn.

what is the 1 mix/2 mix debate??? (its hard trying to self teach) but fun :D :D

to 2nd coat with the same mix of plaster used for 1st coat, as opposed to a fresh mix for 2nd coat. :eek: :D
ive been doing 2 coats with 2 mixes of multi :confused: so just to clarify,
use 2 coats with the 1 mix of multi???

2 coats from 1 mix???
It all depends on the area and your ability! If you covered/spread an area with one coat of multi, and you felt confident you could spread the area again with the remainder of the mix, plus you were confident you could finish it to the final trowel up, then go for it,,,, but if you think you wouldn't make it in one hit, then make a second mix for the second coat. Try a bigger area each time, to improve your speed, and help with your confidence,,, it takes time to learn.
cheers boys, i definately understand exactly what you mean. i'd be buggered without this forum :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back