Power tool makes to avoid ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will soon be looking to buy some new power tools - cordless drill/driver, etc

I expect around 18v battery and metal gearing etc.

Any makes to avoid using ? or recommendations to use?
Will be used on a daily basis, not DIY.

Must be able to get spare batteries or come with them.

Any best places to buy ?

Gerry

Sponsored Links
Didn't even consider DeWalt - they seem to have gone the route of selling the name as opposed to quality these days.

Ryobi look to be quite good big-all, dont think I need all the extra tools though :)

Seems to me they only do 1.7ah batteries ?

Sponsored Links
they do li-ions as well at 1.4 and 2.4 ah but need a seperate charger which in turn can also charge the nicads

you can get a spare nicad battery for around £25-£30

can recommend bosch,
hitachi look ok,not used there new stuff,had an old cordless that seemed ok.

do not recommend dewalt cordless drills at all,2 failed on me within 6 mths.

dont like ryobi,personall thing that is,and just to annoy big-all :LOL:

makita now i had an old 1 for years,then had a mtx and it killed 2 sets of batteries.

dont like ryobi,personall thing that is,and just to annoy big-all :LOL:

ok must admit i read the post wrong :oops: :oops:

i thought it said diy as opposed to NOT diy

if you are in buisness on a fairly good budget and are heavy/full trade do not use ryobi

if you are just setting up and money is tight and your not exactly shure whats what then ryobi is a definate consideration as the they are light to medium trade at 40% OFF THE COST off the red/ yellow/ blue toys
i have bosch and dewalt stuff as well cost wise the ryobi stuff is a lot less than half my kit but tools wise its way more but to be fair the ryobis are all hand tools

Really need to know what the OP will be using the stuff for.

I'm a big fan of Bosch, 3-year warranty, great build quality and excellent service if anything does go wrong. Almost all of my power/cordless tools are now Bosch, and there's very few others I'd consider. Take a look at the GSB18 VE-2-LI for a combi drill

As has been said above, avoid DeWalt like the plague, the box is worth more than the tool.

I'm a big fan of Bosch, 3-year warranty, great build quality and excellent service if anything does go wrong. Almost all of my power/cordless tools are now Bosch, and there's very few others I'd consider. Take a look at the GSB18 VE-2-LI for a combi drill

As has been said above, avoid DeWalt like the plague, the box is worth more than the tool.

i realy think that people are unfair in critisising "ALL" dewalt tools
for the sake off a few problems with a few items!!

there must be millions off good dewalt tools in use in britain and what percentage give trouble!!

My big DeWalt sliding compound saw is a brute. I like it.

I gave my DeWalt cordless screwdrivers away.

I now have a Milwaukee 18v (impact) beast and it pulls in 4"12's effortlessly.

My experience with milwaukee is disappointing. Not a bad drill but the batteries are pants

Can't really fault any of my dewalt tools, never really had any problems with any of them - drills x 3, mitre saw, plunge saw, cordless jigsaw, recip saw, lights, etc all used daily for trade use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back