Are water softeners incompatible with steel hot water tanks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a thermecon hot water tank that is 9 years old.It has a warning red light on it but otherwise is functioning fine.I have been told that I need to replace the tank with a stainless steel tank as my water softener has most likely caused corrosion in the tank and it may well collapse through my ceiling.
My question is, is a steel hot water tank incompatible with water softeners and can a warning light indicate a more minor problem that can be repaired rather than replace the whole tank. Many Thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
are you sure the old one is (non-stainless) steel? not copper?

A photo would be nice.

steel will normally rust, even without a water softener, so is not normal in this use. In countries where galvanised tanks are used, they usually have a sacificial zinc anode to slow down corrosion.

Your Thermecon tank is actually made by Ariston, it is a stell Glass lined tank, the warning light is telling you that your anti corrosion system is not working, which means the electronic anode inside the anti corrosion box needs replacing, is the tank actually leaking?? you need to get a heating erngineer with G3 Qualification to change the anode, it's not a job for diy, (*i can be a pig, as the old anode usually breaks off in the tank and has to drilled out and the thread restored with a tap ;)

Sponsored Links
Ariston were replacing there steel cylinders, the ones with the electric protection thing, Classic i think, foc a couple of years back because of the corrosion problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back