Long Straight Cracks in all ceilings, why and what can we do

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All the ceilings in our new home have these long perfectly straight cracks in, some are square. Looks like all the ceilings are artexed and just cracked along plaster board joins. Is that possible. If so why? also there seems to be a liner under the artex - is that possible and do we need to strip ceilings with say a steamer before anything else first - please help. Jude

Sponsored Links
That will be just as you said,,, the ceilings cracked along the plasterboard joints. The liner "under the artex" as you mention, will probably be the edges of the old loose tape/s that has come away from the joint/s. The best way forward, is to remove the tapes, completely,, all of them, check the ones around the wall/ceiling line too,, just pull them off, then get a plasterer in to re-tape,, prepare, and skim your ceiling/s over. I know you said all of the ceilings are affected in this way, but do it over time, a room here, a room there. I wouldn't use a steamer to take anything off either. Get 2 or 3 plasterers in, and get quotes from each, and then do a room or so, whenever you're ready. One thing's for sure, you can't patch up artex without noticing it, so i'd go for tape/repair and skim. In hindsight, i'd let the plasterer do all the prep work/remove the old tapes etc, then that way he knows the jobs done from scratch/prep'ed his way,, then it's all up to him.

The house is only 24 years old - why would this have happened and is there a risk that the rest will lift away too at some point if someone just plasters over. I would rather get it all down if there was a chance of that happening rather then end up doing the ceilings twice as it is such an expensive job and one we definately cant do ourselves. thankyou for you help with this

Sponsored Links
You also need to establish why it’s happened; movement is the culprit but what is it that's moving :?: If it's it’s generally throughout the house, I would also establish the boards have been correctly fitted & are adequately supported fixed. Probably just a crap, modern Artex job (your better off without that ****e anyway) & hopefully all that’s required is some extra screws.

The house is only 24 years old - why would this have happened and is there a risk that the rest will lift away too at some point if someone just plasters over. I would rather get it all down if there was a chance of that happening rather then end up doing the ceilings twice as it is such an expensive job and one we definately cant do ourselves. thankyou for you help with this

Richard's right, about movement etc causing plasterboard ceilings/walls to crack, but the thing that makes tapes come loose, more than anything else is "shrinkage", due to the materials they are put on with,, "Ready Mix Joint Finish".
There's a link at the bottom for a similar post, from a couple of years ago. My opinion has not changed one bit since then.
I did work some years ago for a policeman, (now retired), and every room he did up, the old tapes were "all" taken off, especially tapes on the internal corners, (ceilings/walls), and new ones put back on, using the proper materials. Have a read through this.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=674463#674463.

Have you been away for the past few days Rich'? Been looking for ya.
Well as you mentioned it RC, yes I have & it’s a very pleasant surprise that you noticed; thank you & it makes me feel a whole lot better. Unfortunately it’s not been work as I haven’t really been able to do any since Christmas; nor have I been visiting a more sunny clime but that’s now seriously on the agenda :LOL: . It’s all been a bit sh itty recently as me father in law ended up in hosp 6 weeks ago with a heart attack, stroke & 2 stents fitted (he’s now fine), then me sister in-law fell over & broke her hip 3 weeks ago (she’s now fine) but this Monday/Tuesday we had to “send off” one daughters mother in-law & my other daughters father in-law; close family funerals on two consecutive days FFS, what’s the chances of that :eek: one was expected, the other a total shock; the only saving grace is that they wern't on the same bloody day :cry: ; perhaps I’m due to win the next Euro lottery :LOL: :LOL: ! What’s even more sobering & thought provoking is that they were only 62 & 63, just a couple of years older than me; I don’t think I can ever remember being so emotionally & physically drained & pondering my fate; give me a 25 sq/m ceiling any day & I really hate those :rolleyes: ! The only + side was that yesterday I got to attend a long pre-arranged 10 year anniversary & **** up with the guys I worked with on the last project I did in my previous working life; it was close call but at least the funeral dates didn’t scupper that once & only venue & I did get well & truly ****ed :LOL:

My “spilling” the above is not looking for sympathy but gives me the opportunity to prompt all you guys & galls out here make the most of what you’ve got, be nice whenever you can &, please, don't delay whatever it takes to make that 1st step to making amends with any “issues” you may have with others close to you while you still have the opportunity.

Sorry if I've "gone on" but, as “Van the Man” sings at all his venues, “enjoy it while you can, it’s later than you think” ;)

Sorry to hear about everything that has happened over the past 6 weeks Richard and lets hope that every thing settles down for you and you can get back into your daily routine. I myself am not getting any younger and what you say about make the most of what you have got and be nice when ever you can is a thing that a lot of us miss out on doing till "something" grabs hold of you and gives you a good shake....

So welcome back to you and hope that you do win that "lottery".... ;)

I can't really add to what the other guys have said Rich'. Hope things will pick up now for you and your family. As you said, these things certainly make you think.
Ohhh,,,, and as TM more or less says in his begging letter,,, :LOL: pleeeeeaase lend us a fiver,,, :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back