Problem with Independant water filled radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've come accross a number of radiators in a property all of which are water filled but are not connected to any water supply. The rads are trendy designer style panel ones and have electrical elements in vary in voltage and wattage as do the size of the rads. Some of the rads can be bled as with a normal wet central heating system, I assume this is just convection from the water being heated inside. A couple are producing no water at all.

I assume the problem isn't the elements (which is why I thought of posting here and not in the electrical forum) as four rads are having the same problem getting only warm. I think it's something to do with the water inside.

I've a fair idea of how these things work but do they need to fill them how do you fill them and what could the problem be??

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Brian

Sponsored Links
Wow, errr, where to start. What could the problem be? I have no idea, you haven't really told us what the symptoms are. From your post I'm not even sure if there is a problem. Maybe the problem is in your head and the rads are just sitting there happily being rads.

If indeed they are electric radiators, then they do not need bleeding; there is almost no way any additional air can get into them, and the air that's there should be left in as it's an expansion gap. I very much doubt that they are different voltages, you'd need big transformers to change the voltage back to 240v to connect it to the mains.

Exactly what problem do you think there may be with the water? It's water, H2O, it just exists as it is, it's not going to magically become something else or behave differently in some rads to others, it just gets hot and cold.

The water will also remain in the rads if they are electric only, they do not need refilling, unless they have leaked of course! If they have leaked you will see water outside the radiator. This will be cold.

I'm still a little puzzled about what your problem is.

Sponsored Links
i've got my popcorn ready to watch this show!!

So in the evening you make some popcorn, sit behind your computer and read this forum?

We'll have to go out for a drink one night, you sound like my type of guy.
computer%2Bnerd%2B%2B%2BLimpet%2B2%5B1%5D.JPG

silly, i sit in front of it, i can see the screen much better that way

were you auditioning for a part in thunderbirds when you posed for that photographic likeness? you'd look much better in sepia.

is t'internet slow tonite or is it just your modem

I often come across ladder type towel rails , that are designed to be connected to a wet c/h system , which are not , they are filled with water manually , & an electric element installed in order to heat them , in the instances that I am refrring to what happens if the stat on the element fails ??? and an overheat situation occurs ???? expansion ect , are the rads u are refering to designed for this purpose ???????

3 trades required to solve problem: plumber, sparky and (hydro)therapist

'Thanks' for the replies.

The elements are Heatpol, yes voltages are all the same.

Problem is a number of rads are not getting hot even when stat's are set at maximum whereas others are.

Yes these rads are designed to be fitted with the electrical element and the radiator filled with water. They are not like your bog standard wet central heating radiator.

So are ladder towel rails , designed to be fitted with an electric element , most manus , will supply the element , so that they work in the summer when the c/h is switched off !!

'Thanks' for the replies.

The elements are Heatpol, yes voltages are all the same.

Problem is a number of rads are not getting hot even when stat's are set at maximum whereas others are.

If they're not getting hot when the stat's set to max then either the stat is knackered or the element is knackered, or possibly the element is undersized for the rad, whichever it is you need new elements, assuming it's not just a blown fuse

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back